Police seek Pittsburgh man for McKeesport bar shooting
A Pittsburgh man is wanted in the death of Jayemond Bailey, who was shot inside Street Stars bar in McKeesport on Friday morning.
Mark Leonard, 32, is charged with homicide and weapons violations for his alleged role in the shooting.
Allegheny County police describe Leonard as a black male, approximately 5 feet 11 inches tall and 175 pounds. He has distinctive hazel eyes and last was seen with facial hair and a bald head. He has tattoos on both sides of his neck.
“He is originally from the Hill District and is known to frequent McKeesport and the Manchester section of Pittsburgh,” Lt. Andrew Schurman wrote in a Thursday morning press release.
Street Stars co-owner Jim Brown said Leonard was a regular at the establishment, stopping in at least twice a week. He has not visited the bar since Friday's shooting.
Bailey, 34, of McKeesport was shot multiple times on Friday at approximately 1 a.m. inside the bar at 316 Sixth Ave. Bailey was transported to UPMC McKeesport, where he died.
When the investigation began, Schurman said the motive for the shooting was “unclear” and authorities were analyzing surveillance video from inside the bar. The lieutenant said at least 20 patrons were there at the time of the shooting.
McKeesport Mayor Michael Cherepko and police urged witnesses to “do the right thing” and contact authorities with any information.
“It's pleasing to hear police have gotten enough cooperation in gathering evidence to obtain an arrest warrant,” Cherepko said on Thursday.
Anyone with information regarding Leonard's whereabouts is asked to contact McKeesport police at 412-675-5015 or Allegheny County police at 412-473-1300. Anyone who sees Leonard should call 911 immediately.
Jennifer R. Vertullo is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
She can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1956, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mon-Yough area first responders say drivers need to stop, pull over
- County 911 to provide Elizabeth police with records system
- Vigil marks 6-year anniversary of Clairton coach’s death
- Closed Bottom Dollars in Homestead, McKeesport to become Aldi stores
- Clairton schools honor alumni in mentoring program
- Steel Valley director claims facility rentals have scheduling conflicts
- Steel Valley union drops restroom grievance
- Elizabeth Forward senior builds his own canoe in school’s lab
- Hearing delayed in North Versailles attempted homicide case
- Police arrest suspect in fatal Wilmerding shooting
- Pittsburgh bald eagles’ egg expected to hatch this week