South Allegheny teachers approve 3- year contract
By Patrick Cloonan
Published: Saturday, February 16, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, February 16, 2013
Teachers in the South Allegheny School District have approved a three-year contract agreement, retroactive to the start of the 2012-13 school year.
A majority of 132 members of the South Allegheny Education Association OK'd the pact at a meeting earlier this week.
“They did ratify the agreement,” Pennsylvania State Education Association field director Butch Santicola confirmed on Friday afternoon. “They're just waiting for the board to ratify it next week.”
South Allegheny's board of directors has put a ratification vote on its agenda for Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the band room of the high school.
As was the case with district officials, Santicola said, “We can't release any details at this point.”
Union and district negotiators met on multiple occasions since September to resolve the contract.
South Allegheny is one of a handful of Pittsburgh area districts whose contract disputes continued past the start of the school year.
Santicola said circumstances ranging from economic conditions to what Gov. Tom Corbett is proposing in his education budget are factors in slowing down the collective bargaining process.
In the Mon-Yough area, East Allegheny and Duquesne City districts remain without contracts. Elsewhere in the Pittsburgh region, Shaler Area also remains without a contract.
Patrick Cloonan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1967, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Norwin School District under fire for handling of chicken pox outbreak
- Students worked toward ‘life goals’
- Funding transportation
- 10 candidates vie for 4 Norwin school board positions
- Alllegheny County Council District 9 contest gives voters options
- City leaders say Dem newcomers could unify McKeesport council
- 3 candidates cross-file for Pleasant Hills judicial seat
- 3 seek to unseat incumbent in North Versailles Township
- Road crews keep busy with South Hills work
- Duquesne man arrested at local eatery for groping
- Some millage up, some down in Norwin
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.