Police investigating attempted abduction in West Mifflin
By Eric Slagle
Published: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 5:06 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, February 27, 2013
West Mifflin police are investigating what appears to have been an attempted abduction of a woman at a bus stop near Century Square.
The victim, described as a 22-year-old student of Empire Beauty School, was waiting for a bus at about 9:30 p.m. on Monday when the incident occurred.
According to police, the victim said she heard her attacker drive up in a parking lot adjacent to the roadway behind a landscaped dirt mound and exit his vehicle.
The victim told police the man approached her, asked about a bus schedule then returned to his car. He returned about a minute later, grabbed the woman and put something over her mouth with an unknown substance on it. The woman said she was able to break free and run down Century Drive.
The attacker is described as a huskily built white male, approximately 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighing approximately 170 pounds, with a scruffy face and brown hair. She said the man was wearing a green-color jacket with front pockets a multi-color hat and possibly blue jeans.
The suspect's car is described as an older, turquoise sedan, possibly dating to the 1990s, with missing hubcaps.
Police said the suspect reportedly fled in his car in an easterly direction.
West Mifflin police Chief Ken Davies said investigators are reviewing surveillance video from cameras in the area.
“There is physical evidence of a liquid substance that will be going to the crime lab,” said Davies.
The victim — whom, according to Trib Total Media news exchange partner WPXI-11 was pregnant — was taken to UPMC Mercy for evaluation but reported no specific injury.
Police said they responded to the scene within two minutes of being notified of the attack.
A classmate of the victim told WPXI, “Now we're going to have to get a buddy system or something. I drive. I'll drive them up and wait for them to get a bus.”
Eric Slagle is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1966, or email@example.com.
- McKeesport-area pools ready for summertime splash
- Acting Emerson principal named to permanent post
- Duquesne-West Mifflin Rotary Club celebrates 60th anniversary
- Clairton board OKs dek hockey concept
- School taxes down in Elizabeth Forward
- McKeesport controller to school board: Sue for taxes
- Elizabeth Township commissioners, sanitary authority remain at odds
- Pleasant Hills sets truck weight limits
- Macey takes Democratic nomination for Allegheny County Council seat
- Transformer problem causes Elizabeth Township power outage
- Site tour of new Twin Rivers school leaves McKeesport Area officials aglow
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.