West Mifflin police say woman's assault story is a hoax
By Michael DiVittorio
Published: Saturday, March 2, 2013, 12:56 a.m.
A reported attempted kidnapping and possible assault at a bus stop in West Mifflin has turned out to be a hoax.
Heather Heath, 22, a student of Empire Beauty School, told authorities a white man, standing approximately 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighing between 167 and 170 pounds, attempted to abduct her on Monday at 9:28 p.m. along Century Drive.
She reported the man used some type of liquid substance in the attack, and was wearing a green jacket with pockets in the front, possibly blue jeans and a multi-colored hat.
Police Chief Kenneth Davies said police responded to the call within two minutes of being notified of the attack, but did not locate the man.
The alleged victim — who, according to Trib Total Media news exchange partner WPXI-11 was pregnant — was taken to UPMC Mercy for evaluation but reported no specific injury.
“The West Mifflin Police Department did conduct a thorough investigation of this incident, looking at all physical evidence as well as video surveillance evidence in the area,” Davies said. “Based on that evidence we again spoke with the victim and on Friday (police) obtained a verbal and written statement from the alleged victim ... that the abduction never occurred. That in fact the fluid on her face, jacket and personal items was water, and she had falsely reported the entire event.
“At this time we are considering criminal charges and/or other mental health options as (we) proceed.”
No further information was available at presstime.
Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1965, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 73-home subdivision plan approved for Westwood Golf Club
- Dravosburg residents try to save PNC Bank from closing
- Mon Valley communities plan cleanup day activities
- U.S. Steel presents tuition scholarship money for Catholic education
- Carnegie Library of Homestead spotlighted in CNN iReport
- Forward supervisors, residents seek township road improvements
- Indiana company gets OK to sell former West Mifflin municipal building
- Parole denied for man convicted in 1997 slaying of 14-month-old
- Homestead funeral director convicted of 3rd-degree murder
- Forward officials announce furniture sale
- 2 shot outside McKeesport convenience store