Woman dies in police custody in McKeesport
A 52-year-old woman died in McKeesport police custody on Friday night when attempts by city police and medics to resuscitate her failed.
The woman had been incarcerated on a public drunkenness charge.
She was found unresponsive in the women's cell block at 9:33 p.m., according to a police press release. The woman was pronounced dead by medics at 9:51 p.m.
Her name has not been released.
Allegheny County police and the medical examiner's office were called to assist with the investigation.
Police said the cause and manner of death will be determined by the medical examiner's office.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Century III Mall’s Sears on track to close Dec. 7
- McKeesport wrestling promoters hope for smashing success with anniversary show
- Parade to start off Winterfest in Glassport
- Food bank CEO hopeful of tax break for donors
- McKeesport’s Davis is vice chair of county Dem party
- Thousands depend on Mon Valley area red kettle drive
- Fire marshal investigating cause of Wilmerding house fires
- Braddock agency is a lifeline for commuters
- North Versailles Township marks return of police K-9 unit
- ‘Nutcracker’ offers even more treats for Grand Theatre audience
- McKeesport Area, South Allegheny, Elizabeth Forward musicians head to holiday parades