Woman dies in police custody in McKeesport
A 52-year-old woman died in McKeesport police custody on Friday night when attempts by city police and medics to resuscitate her failed.
The woman had been incarcerated on a public drunkenness charge.
She was found unresponsive in the women's cell block at 9:33 p.m., according to a police press release. The woman was pronounced dead by medics at 9:51 p.m.
Her name has not been released.
Allegheny County police and the medical examiner's office were called to assist with the investigation.
Police said the cause and manner of death will be determined by the medical examiner's office.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- McKeesport man: Ex-girlfriend ‘attempted to run me over’
- Responsibility for sinkhole near Glassport remains uncertain
- Mon Valley schools honored for commitment to music education
- McKeesport teacher among winners at Champions of Learning awards dinner
- McKeesport student’s prize-winning song about brother helps ease family’s grief
- Elizabeth Forward senior builds his own canoe in school’s lab
- Program details women’s work in Mon-Yough area mills during World War II
- Mon-Yough area first responders say drivers need to stop, pull over
- Closed Bottom Dollars in Homestead, McKeesport to become Aldi stores
- Vigil marks 6-year anniversary of Clairton coach’s death
- West Mifflin Area to sue for tuition reimbursement