Long-delayed film to premiere Saturday
A movie stuck in limbo for more than 10 years is set to premiere this weekend.
“The Mob Boss and the Soul Singer” will be released on Saturday at 8 p.m. at the Hollywood Theatre, 1449 Potomac Ave., Dormont.
It features Clairton vocalist Chuck Corby, actress Debbie Rochon and professional wrestling icon Bruno Sammartino.
Tickets are $10 and available at the door.
The movie was filmed in Clairton, the South Side, the Butler area and near Pittsburgh International Airport in 2002.
Written and directed by John Russo, co-creator of “Night of the Living Dead,” the film's debut was delayed due to issues with acquiring music rights. Russo said those issues also hindered finding a movie distributor. He said the problems were resolved within the past few months.
R Squared Films, a Nevada-based independent film distribution company, is presenting the film.
It's based on Corby's beginnings with his band the Quiet Storm, and the highs and lows of the music industry.
“Most of the scenes in this movie are things that actually happened in my life,” Corby said.
Sammartino plays Giuseppe “Flat” Donato, a mob boss who owns a club in which Corby and the band play.
Corby's gambling problem gets the better of him, and he owes the boss money. Donato takes what Corby owes out of the band's pay, and the band robs Donato of half a million dollars. A hit is put out on Corby and the band, and more criminal activities ensue.
“I had a son in the movie who somehow betrayed my trust,” Sammartino said. “I had just had major back surgery, and like three days later they contacted me about this role. When the script came, I literally took it on the set. I would read my part just before I did it because I never had (any time). This had been years now.”
Sammartino said he enjoyed working on the movie.
“We were real happy when they said it was going to be Bruno (playing the mob boss),” Corby said. “(He's) one of the nicest guys I ever worked with in this business ... I think we're going to get a great response. We had a lot of ticket sales. A lot of people are excited. I'm excited about it finally making it to the big screen.
“You'd be surprised who ends up with the money and who ends up dead.”
Saturday's premiere is a tribute to Armand Martin Sr., a former Clairton police officer, district judge and Quiet Storm bass singer.
Martin died in November 2007 of complications from non-Hodgkins lymphoma.
He has a significant role in the film. He also got to work with his son Armand A. Martin, who plays a courtroom bailiff.
“I'm thankful I can see him in videos,” the son said. “It brings back memories. It'll also be sad because it's tough not having him around. He's my role model. He's my best friend. It was fun (to be in the movie) because I grew up listening to the oldies with my father. I knew a lot about it and (my father) was excited about it. It was enjoyable to be able to go through that with him.”
“It means everything to me,” Corby said about Martin's tribute. “He and I were like brothers. All of the guys in the group, we still miss him today. Sometimes we even bring his jacket and put it on stage like he's still there. He actually rejuvenated our recording career. He means a whole lot to us.”
Martin joined the Quiet Storm about 19 years ago.
Attendees at Saturday's premier will be able to meet some of the stars following the screening. More information is available at www.chuckcorby.com.
Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1965, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Mon Valley region prepares to celebrate Fourth of July in style
- Hazelwood man shot in Homestead
- More Mon Valley communities add banners honoring veterans
- McKeesport Area students navigate obstacles
- Animal rights group protests in Pleasant Hills
- Mon Valley motorists can expect more traffic woes
- Homestead Cemetery records will be preserved
- Replacement fire chief, safety issues to top McKeesport agenda
- Experts offer Fourth of July safety tips
- Yankee Doodle Dandies still going strong
- Homestead to make street cycle-friendly