McKeesport Area students contribute to regional music events
McKeesport Area students are taking part in a full season of regional music events.
Participating in Pennsylvania Music Educators Association concerts and one out-of-state program, McKeesport Area kids said they're thankful for the experience to play music in larger, diverse groups.
“It's fun,” high school student John Meekins said. “I met new people who I can relate to. It was easy to make a bunch of new friends, and we made a song together.”
High school choir director Beth Eger said students gain a wealth of positive experiences through learning and performing music.
“It helps them to become more well-rounded students,” Eger said, noting that PMEA participation broadens the spectrum of their growth. “It's important for students to see what other students are doing outside of McKeesport.”
McKeesport Area students have taken part or will participate in the following:
• PMEA District 1 Senior High Chorus — John Meekins and Paul Fields.
• PMEA Regional Senior High Chorus — Paul Fields.
• PMEA District 1 Junior High East Chorus — Abigail Altieri, Victoria Ridge, Brya Harper, Josta Huff-Mahan, Cameron Mitchell and Katherine Wade (Founders Hall Middle School).
• PMEA District 1 Senior High Orchestra — Casey Carreiro, Sam Storms and Alex Savage.
• PMEA District 1 Junior High Orchestra — Brent Murphy, Jacob Garwood, Becca Ross (Founders Hall Middle School) and Avery Goldinger (Founders Hall Middle School).
• PMEA District 1 East Band — Jason Desmuke, Sara Levendusky, Taylor Dorman and Taylor Fillippa.
• West Virginia Honors Band — Casey Wash and Taylor Fillippa.
Jennifer R. Vertullo is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1956, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- East Allegheny negotiator responds to proposal from striking teachers
- Homestead to celebrate one of its own at jazz festival
- Flexible-use building in the works for Duquesne
- East Allegheny teachers to hit the picket lines
- McKeesport Area, South Allegheny districts upgrade school security
- McKeesport Rib Festival wraps up with Monday concert, fireworks show
- McKeesport Area teacher fired amid sex scandal returns to school
- Additional negotiating session fails to resolve threatened East Allegheny strike
- More sexual assault charges filed against Homestead minister
- $8 million Duquesne Light facility opens in McKeesport
- East Allegheny teachers maintain strike plans