3 displaced in apartment unit fire
By Eric Slagle
Published: Saturday, March 30, 2013, 1:21 a.m.
Three elderly McKeesport residents were displaced from their homes in an apartment building fire on Friday evening.
The fire started around 6:18 p.m. in a second-floor unit of a brick multi-unit dwelling at the corner of Ohio and Boyd streets. No one was hurt but the upstairs unit was heavily damaged in the blaze and the unit below sustained serious smoke and water damage.
Lynne Dorsey, who lives in the upstairs unit where the fire began, said she was sleeping when she heard her smoke alarm go off.
“Things looked normal,” she said, “But I could smell smoke.”
Dorsey said she asked her visiting grandson about the fire and he said he didn't smell it. Dorsey said she continued to investigate and found the fire when she opened a back bedroom door and was hit with a wall of smoke.
Dorsey said she ordered her grandson to leave the apartment right away and didn't even have time to get the cane she usually uses for walking.
The grandson, Jaylyn Bush, 9, said he looked out for his grandmother as she exited down a back staircase.
“I watched her each step of the way so she didn't trip,” the boy said.
An older couple on the first floor also made it out of the building safely. They had to leave their pet dog behind while fleeing but fire crews later retrieved the animal safely.
Derek Webb, 19, who lives across the street from the apartment building, said he walked out on his porch and “saw smoke pouring out of the window and pouring out of the roof.”
Webb said his mother ran over to check on the residents but they had already gotten out the building.
McKeesport Deputy Fire Chief Chuck Margliotti said firefighters were notified there were residents possibly trapped in the home. Crews conducted a 15-minute search of the interior and concluded all residents were accounted for.
Margliotti said it took about 20 minutes to bring the fire under control. He said it doesn't appear that oxygen tanks Dorsey said she had in her bedroom for health reasons contributed to the fire.
Neighbors said two other units in the building were unoccupied.
The Allegheny County Fire Marshal's office is investigating.
Eric Slagle is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1966, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Lincoln Way work finally set to begin
- AIU forum bashes governor’s education budget
- McKeesport middle school student struck by dump truck dies in hospital
- New McKeesport committee to focus on community issues
- Father-son funeral directors in Duquesne lead industry, community
- Wall landmark may be demolished
- Clairton Seuss Cafe just what doctor ordered for love of reading
- McKeesport mayor answers critics of emergency timing
- Elizabeth resident charged in fuel theft
- Army band Volunteers to rock Palisades stage
- License transfer paves way for new restaurant in McKeesport