North Versailles to increase holding cell fee
North Versailles Township's board of commissioners is proposing charging East Pittsburgh and Turtle Creek $4,000 each in annual fees, retroactive to the start of the year, to house prisoners in the township's holding cell.
Board president George Thompson acknowledged it is far larger than the $1,500 fee charged to East McKeesport, but “East Pittsburgh and Turtle Creek house twice as many prisoners there.”
The board rejected the one bid received for a truck and voted to readvertise for bids for the vehicle. It also:
• Redid a $4.3 million 2010 North Versailles Township Sanitary Authority bond issue. Commissioner Sam Juliano said the action was taken to get lower interest rates and save the township between $75,000 “and more than $100,000.”
• Extended a Cargill Inc. salt contract for another year.
• Promoted police Officer Michael DeLucia from part-time to full-time status.
• Ratified a 10-day suspension without pay for police Officer Thomas Nee.
• Hired Lisa Green as part-time parks and recreation director.
• Engaged Al Hussey's services as fire code enforcement official.
Patrick Cloonan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1967, or firstname.lastname@example.org.