TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Pet cat is injured in kitchen fire in N. Huntingdon

Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 4:46 a.m.
 

North Huntingdon Township police and firefighters are investigating a housefire that injured a cat at 1319 Samantha Way.

Firefighters and EMS personnel from the North Irwin, Irwin and the township responded to the call on Monday at 1:08 p.m.

The fire was contained to the home's kitchen area.

“It was a very quick lockdown by the first entry crew,” Circleville assistant fire Chief Bill Sombo said.

The house sustained heavy smoke and heat damage throughout. None of its occupants was in the residence at the time, Sombo said.

Homeowner Angela Moffatt said a neighbor called to tell her the house was on fire, and then called 911.

Moffatt said her 14-year-old Khayman cat was inside the house and was taken to a veterinarian by Moffatt's sister.

Sombo said firefighters removed the cat from the house, Irwin EMS administered oxygen.

Moffatt said she was informed that the pet likely has a collapsed left lung, which may be life-threatening.

No other injuries were reported.

Emergency responders began clearing the area around 2:30 p.m.

Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-664-9161 ext. 1965, or mdivittorio@tribweb.com.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read McKeesport

  1. Clairton residents share concerns over sewage bills
  2. Brewster’s bill would fund hires by upping fines
  3. Munhall officials miffed at ex-manager for leaving town
  4. W. Mifflin backs drilling at airport
  5. Official: Buyer expected soon
  6. Glassport plaque gets new home
  7. West Mifflin Area schools boost security in response to threat against student
  8. White Oak Holocaust survivor continues to share tragic story
  9. Arbitration hearing between animal shelter, Youghiogheny Country Club delayed
  10. McKeesport Area first-grader brings toy gun on school bus
  11. County investigators determine fatal McKeesport fire started in living room
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.