McKeesport custody dispute leads to charges against pregnant woman; video under review
McKeesport police say a pregnant woman's complaint that she was roughed up by officers during a custody dispute remains under investigation.
Krista Alis Abram, 26, of McKeesport told Trib Total Media news exchange partner WPXI that she was tackled by police on Sunday night in HiView Gardens as officers intervened in the dispute between Abram and the father of her 5-year-old daughter.
Police reports indicate that Abram, who is 36 weeks pregnant, would not relinquish custody to the father, who had a court custody order, and barricaded herself and the daughter inside a locked apartment.
When city police and officers from Pittsburgh Protective Services gained entry, Abram allegedly was belligerent and refused to relinquish the girl.
The mother wrapped her arms and legs around the daughter, and officers had to pry the child loose, according to police reports.
Abram was arrested because she allegedly continued to shout obscenities and struggle with police when the child was turned over to the father.
She is charged with aggravated assault against a law enforcement official, recklessly endangering another person and two counts of disorderly conduct.
She was taken to Magee-Womens Hospital for evaluation because she complained of pregnancy-related pain at the police station, according to reports.
Assistant Chief Tom Greene said police are reviewing a security video that shows some of the incident. He said another witness gave police a statement that refutes Abram's claims.
“It will all come out later,” Greene said.
Abram's preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 22 in McKeesport.
Eric Slagle is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1966, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mon Valley called ‘ground zero’ for blight
- Driver escapes serious injury in McKeesport heavy-equipment accident
- Elizabeth prepares for annual Riverfest
- Steel Valley area youth attend water camp
- Jefferson Hospital doctor serves as panelist for mental health legislation
- North Versailles Township receives fully loaded street sweeper
- Elizabeth hires new officer-in-charge
- Munhall mayor seeks to remedy flyover bridge hazards
- EPA brings Clean Power Plan hearings to Pittsburgh
- Lincoln council passes ordinances to help ‘protect residents’
- McKeesport, neighboring school districts to receive more overall funding from state