Community day returns to Munhall neighborhood
After a notable absence last summer, Munhall Community Day returns Saturday at West Field. Rob Falce, Munhall council vice president and Community Day planning committee chairman said the festival will be back and better than ever.
“We came up with a big donor in Jefferson Regional Medical Center to help with the funding,” he said. “We also brought together a better fundraising team and have more than 30 volunteers pitching in — which is a lot more than we've ever had.”
In addition to food, games, music and fireworks, the event marks the return of a 5K race starting along West Run Road and ending at the borough building.
“We've already got more than 100 runners and walkers registered,” Falce said. “But we'll still be taking registrations up till the morning of the race.”
Other attractions include a visit from the Pirate Parrot, a penguin show staged by the National Aviary of Pittsburgh at 12:30 p.m., a dance showcase with local students from noon to 3 p.m., magician Eddie Ace from 4 to 6 p.m. and a featured performance by Doug Khorey and His Band of Broken Hearts from 7:30 to 9:15 p.m.
Fireworks begin at 9:30 p.m.
Proceeds from the children's games benefit the Leukemia Society. Other proceeds will go to Project Lifesaver.
Falce said everyone in Munhall should make a point to stop by.
“For the last few months, times haven't been the best in Munhall,” he said. “But this is going to be a fun day that will put a lot of smiles on people's faces.”
Tim Karan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1970, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McKeesport teen killed by school bus on Eden Park Boulevard
- Mon Valley police departments vary on use of heroin overdose antidote
- McKeesport council approves mineral rights lease under Renzie Park
- Ex-Port Vue police chief recognized
- McKeesport council OKs cities plan
- Company announces it will close McKeesport site that employs 100
- McKeesport-Duquesne Bridge reopens to traffic after electrical fire
- Rib Fest highlights holiday weekend in McKeesport
- Wilmerding targeted for mobile farmers market
- McKeesport honors ‘message’ bearers
- West Mifflin renovation project uncovers time capsule of images