Several Mon-Yough bridges are on restriction list
At least seven bridges in or near Mon-Yough communities are on the list that will get new weight restrictions.
What may be the busiest is the state-maintained 1,502-foot-long span carrying Route 51 over the Monongahela River between Elizabeth and Route 837 in West Elizabeth.
State highway bridges over Wylie Run and one of its branches, Long Run and Streets Run are on the list announced on Thursday by state Transportation Secretary Barry Schoch.
One carries a 22-foot stretch of Streets Run Road in Baldwin, not far from the West Mifflin borough line.
One 54-foot Long Run bridge in White Oak is listed as being on Center Street but actually carries Riddle Road between Route 48 and Center Street. It is listed as being 500 feet southeast of Route 48. It is the only state-maintained bridge in the area that had a posting prior to Thursday's announcement.
Another 32-foot bridge carries Lincoln Way over Long Run just east of Oak Park Mall in White Oak.
In between those bridges is a detour around Oak Park Mall and other White Oak businesses, which includes Center Street Extension and Rankin Road. The detour carries traffic through the White Oak Farms apartment complex along Riverview Road because a landslide has forced Center Street Extension to close.
The Wylie Run bridge carries 20 feet of Lovedale Road over the stream in Lincoln.
In Elizabeth Township, another 16-foot-long bridge that will be posted carries Boston Hollow Road over a stream that flows into Wylie Run.
One local bridge had its limit lowered to 3 tons in June by Allegheny County officials because of structural damage. Inspectors discovered a broken strand in a support beam of a 33-foot-long county-maintained bridge carrying Munhall's Ravine Street over Homestead Run just south of the West Mifflin borough line.
Heavier trucks and Port Authority buses have been barred. The 52L Homeville Limited was rerouted around the bridge because of the new weight restriction.
Patrick Cloonan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161 ext. 1967, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 2 firefighters injured battling Munhall blaze
- Twin Rivers Intermediate students get hands-on science lessons
- Former Century III Mall general manager waives charges
- Clairton City School District directors cap possible 2015-16 tax hike at 3 percent
- Overall Mon-Yough homicide stats remain steady
- 3 arrested in recent McKeesport business burglaries
- Propel teams up with local organizations to test performing arts methods
- McKeesport Area communications specialist develops mobile app
- Sides meet for arbitration in East Allegheny teacher contract dispute
- Mon-Yough agencies providing services for the homeless to benefit from HUD funds
- Steel Valley school directors honor new San Francisco 49ers head coach Tomsula