UPMC McKeesport death ruled suicide
A 23-year-old UPMC McKeesport patient's Aug. 21 death was a suicide, the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's office has determined.
The McKeesport woman, whose name has not been released, died of asphyxiation caused by a plastic bag placed over her head, the medical examiner said.
McKeesport Capt. of Detectives Tim Hanna said police responded to the call from the hospital's psychiatric ward at 1:56 a.m.
“After getting there and looking over all the evidence, we decided to call the county police to complete the investigation,” Hanna said on Monday.
He referred questions to county police, who could not be reached for comment by presstime.
Spokesman Mike Manko said the district attorney's office is not involved in the investigation.
UPMC officials could not be reached by presstime.
Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161 ext. 1965, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Polka musician ‘Mr. December’ bringing his fiddle to McKeesport lodge
- Munhall’s $8.3 million spending plan has no tax hike or furloughs
- North Versailles Township approves $6.79 million budget that keeps tax rates flat
- West Mifflin soccer fields nearly done, but play will be delayed
- Brass plaque stolen from McKeesport veterans memorial
- Jamie’s Dream Team founder says she will press on despite new illness
- McKeesport man sentenced to house arrest in armed robbery
- Elizabeth Forward marks 35th year of senior holiday breakfast
- Tax break extension bill has goodies for Mon-Yough area
- McKeesport nonprofit, Youth Works ensure Allied Health students can continue training
- Teen who accused Clairton police of brutality pleads guilty to lesser charges