UPMC McKeesport death ruled suicide
A 23-year-old UPMC McKeesport patient's Aug. 21 death was a suicide, the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's office has determined.
The McKeesport woman, whose name has not been released, died of asphyxiation caused by a plastic bag placed over her head, the medical examiner said.
McKeesport Capt. of Detectives Tim Hanna said police responded to the call from the hospital's psychiatric ward at 1:56 a.m.
“After getting there and looking over all the evidence, we decided to call the county police to complete the investigation,” Hanna said on Monday.
He referred questions to county police, who could not be reached for comment by presstime.
Spokesman Mike Manko said the district attorney's office is not involved in the investigation.
UPMC officials could not be reached by presstime.
Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161 ext. 1965, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Elizabeth council OKs Act 537 resolution for municipal authority
- Santa’s visit to North Versailles hardware store marks milestone on Small Business Saturday
- Levin Furniture to close Century Square store in West Mifflin
- White Oak officials hope for mid-2016 completion of Lincoln Way project
- After 27 years, Clairton emerges from state ‘financially distressed’ status
- North Versailles’ Dance Company’s ‘Nutcracker’ expands with bonus program for students
- Elizabeth proposes big jump in small local services tax; councilwoman steps down
- Clairton City School District wins award for its anti-hunger efforts
- Salvation Army kettle drive about to kick into high gear in Western Pennsylvania
- Model train exhibit raises funds for McKeesport club