TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Resident says extension cord sparks may have led to McKeesport fire

Cindy Shegan Keeley | Daily News - Firefighters work to put out a fire that started in the basement of 1511 Sumac Street in McKeesport on Wednesday afternoon.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>Cindy Shegan Keeley | Daily News</em></div>Firefighters work to put out a fire that started in the basement of 1511 Sumac Street in McKeesport on Wednesday afternoon.
Cindy Shegan Keeley | Daily News - Michael Babyak sits on a neighbor's porch after a fire broke out in his basement at 1511 Sumac Street in McKeesport, Wednesday afternoon.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>Cindy Shegan Keeley | Daily News</em></div>Michael Babyak sits on a neighbor's porch after a fire broke out in his basement at 1511 Sumac Street in McKeesport, Wednesday afternoon.
Cindy Shegan Keeley | Daily News - Emergency personnel responded to a basement fire at 1511 Sumac Street in McKeesport, Wednesday afternoon.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>Cindy Shegan Keeley | Daily News</em></div>Emergency personnel responded to a basement fire at 1511 Sumac Street in McKeesport, Wednesday afternoon.

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

Thursday, Aug. 29, 2013, 2:41 a.m.
 

Michael and Margie Babyak spent Wednesday night at a home in King's Mountain near Seven Springs because an afternoon fire made their McKeesport house uninhabitable.

Allegheny County Fire Marshal's office is investigating the afternoon blaze on Sumac Street, but Michael Babyak said he knows what happened.

He was defrosting a refrigerator with a hair dryer in the basement when sparks from an extension cord sent flames and smoke billowing throughout the house.

“I didn't think I was going to make it out,” he said.

Margie Babyak said she was on the porch when the fire started, and felt fine when McKeesport Area Rescue Services personnel checked on her and her husband. The couple has lived at the home since 1952.

McKeesport fire Chief Kevin Lust said the Babyaks would not be able to return to the two-story single-family dwelling for a while. No injuries were reported.

Michael Babyak said the home is insured.

Glassport firefighters and McKeesport police responded to the call. The intersections of Sumac and Dinsmore streets and Sumac and Garbett streets were closed to traffic.

Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1965, or mdivittorio@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read McKeesport

  1. More work to begin on Homestead-Duquesne Road
  2. Steel Valley extends superintendent’s contract
  3. Steel Valley rejects bids, says restrooms will be constructed in-house
  4. Intrepid VFW post in West Mifflin earns all-state designation
  5. Elizabeth Forward board OKs cost to move trailer
  6. Legos, computers draw students to Elizabeth Forward tech camp
  7. Elizabeth Township business forum draws a crowd
  8. Homestead summit addresses ways to help inmates transition after prison
  9. 3 charged in carjack attempt in Duquesne
  10. 4-D Theater debuts at Kennywood
  11. Several McKeesport party-goers arrested for hindering shooting investigation