Suicide ruled in Rankin Bridge jump
An elderly Turtle Creek man jumped to his death from the Rankin Bridge in Whitaker on Thursday.
The incident occurred at about 8:19 a.m. and the man was declared dead at the scene at 8:41.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's office ruled the death a suicide and said the man died from multiple blunt force injuries to the head, trunk and extremities. The examiner's office said his identity will be released pending notification of his next of kin.
Allegheny County police are investigating the incident.
Whitaker police Chief John Vargo said he did not have a lot of details, but said it was his understanding a witness told investigators the victim “pulled up, parked his car and did what he did.”
Several police cars parked on the bridge while the investigation was carried out at the scene. Investigators were visible under the bridge in the area of the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail.
Eric Slagle is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1966, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Sewer system lease could dissolve McKeesport’s municipal authority
- McKeesport councilman denies candidate’s claim
- ‘Coffee With a Cop’ takes stress out of police relations with Elizabeth Township residents
- West Mifflin Area Athletics Hall of Fame panel has tough job picking first class
- Port Vue hires new garbage hauler, plans to increase fee
- Wilmerding council unsure whether business needs occupancy permit
- McKeesport-based Internet radio station WMCK.FM touted as ‘college radio without the college’
- EQT: No drilling in McKeesport planned before 2017
- Dictionary distribution gives Forward 3rd-graders taste of old school
- Wilmerding shops around while negotiating North Versailles police contract
- Clairton seeks end to Act 47 restraints