TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

McKeesport apartment fire displaces 7 adults, 1 child

Jennifer R. Vertullo | Daily News
Seven adults and one child were displaced by an early morning fire in this apartment building at 918 Union St. in McKeesport.

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

McKeesport Photo Galleries

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2013, 2:16 a.m.
 

Seven adults and one child were assisted with food and shelter by the American Red Cross after being displaced by an apartment fire in McKeesport.

City fire Chief Kevin Lust said no injuries were reported in connection with the blaze Monday at 2:45 a.m. at 918 Union St.

The fire is believed to have originated from a bathroom in one of the four apartments.

Lust said he could not confirm which apartment. The Allegheny County Fire Marshal is investigating.

Firefighters quickly put out the fire but residents were displaced because electricity had to be cut to the entire building, Lust explained.

Tia Como said she could smell smoke from her residence a couple buildings away from the apartment and went to check on her friends in that building.

“That's when I came out of the house and went over there,” she said. “We were all over there sitting on the wall. It was horrible. I guess they put everybody in the building in a hotel. We're buddies.”

Como said she also gave some of them clothing and a blanket.

A black-and-white cat belonging to people in the apartment could not go to the hotel. Como said she fed the cat and it has taken residence on the porch of a nearby abandoned home.

Emergency responders cleared the scene at 6:27 a.m.

Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1965, or mdivittorio@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read McKeesport

  1. Local reminisce about Glassport pool
  2. Mon Yough school districts, nonprofits getting by for now with no state budget
  3. Mifflin Road project is on schedule, within budget
  4. More work to begin on Homestead-Duquesne Road
  5. Steel Valley extends superintendent’s contract
  6. Homestead Cemetery board files for bankruptcy
  7. 3 charged in carjack attempt in Duquesne
  8. Golf pro says no plans to reduce holes
  9. Homestead district on the mend
  10. McKeesport homicide hearing turns turbulent
  11. Elizabeth firefighters to receive new gear