McKeesport teen arrested in connection with convenience store robbery
McKeesport police have arrested a city teenager in connection with an armed robbery of a convenience store.
Dayzhon Ridgely, 18, is charged with armed robbery, theft by unlawful taking, possession of a firearm without a license, recklessly endangering another person and terroristic threats.
Charges stem from a robbery at DS Food Mart on Sept. 30 at 7:30 a.m. at the intersection of Versailles and Union avenues.
McKeesport Captain of Detectives Tim Hanna reported a black male wearing a white hooded sweatshirt and dark pants had a dark-colored firearm and demanded items from a clerk.
The robber reportedly left with cigarettes and money, and fled down Union Avenue toward Shaw Avenue.
The store reopened on Monday after law enforcement officials processed the scene.
McKeesport police released surveillance photos of the suspect and of whom they thought was another suspect.
Hanna said, after those pictures were released, investigators discovered the photos were of the same suspect and they were able to recover the hooded sweatshirt.
Ridgely was taken into custody at his McKeesport home on Wednesday morning.
Hanna lauded the efforts of sergeant detectives Christopher Halaszynski, James Reed and Adam Alfer for their investigative efforts.
“There were three detectives assigned to this investigation and have been actively working the case since the incident occurred,” Hanna said. “It was a serious case and we were fortunate to make an arrest.”
The victim, clerk Disha Kumar, said she is glad the investigation was successful.
“We are happy they made the arrest,” Kumar said. “Whoever did it, we want them behind bars so it would be a good lesson to them.”
Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1965, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Firearm owners organization supports gun restriction lawsuits
- West Mifflin not getting Verizon FiOS anytime soon
- Interest strong in redeveloping former Long Run Children’s Learning Center in White Oak
- McKeesport groups reach out with holiday meals
- McKeesport Area Ministerium honors Matuch, Jones for community service
- Elizabeth Township plans to buy closed Girl Scout camp
- McKeesport middle school students get taste of crime-scene investigations
- North Versailles Township marks return of police K-9 unit
- Mon Valley service groups, volunteers prepare early Thanksgiving meals
- School bus accident in Pleasant Hills sends 4 to the hospital
- N. Versailles commissioners likely to hold line on taxes