White Oak post honors Legionnaire of the Year
Since 1973, Andy Sandusky of McKeesport has spearheaded a fundraiser for the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Free Care Fund.
Donations to his A. Sandusky Free Care Friends Drive surpassed $100,000 last year.
He will be recognized as Legionnaire of the Year by White Oak American Legion Post 701 tonight at 8:30. The ceremony will be open to the public.
“I am very honored to receive this award from the officers and membership,” Sandusky said.
He praised the post for its longtime support of his drive.
“There are no words to say how much (Post 701) is appreciated,” he said. “Thank you all for your support.”
Senior vice Commander Dom Kasony, the post's acting commander, said the decision to honor Sandusky was an easy one.
“Andy is a role model for all of us,” Kasony said. “He has lived in McKeesport all his life and he was a police officer in McKeesport. For the last 30 or 40 years, he has always represented the legion in the best possible way.
“If I could give him the Legionnaire of the Decade award, I would because he deserves it.”
Carol Waterloo Frazier is an editor for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1916, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- West Elizabeth seeks funding to replace borough garage, fire station
- McKeesport teacher among winners at Champions of Learning awards dinner
- Mon Valley schools honored for commitment to music education
- Clairton schools honor alumni in mentoring program
- McKeesport property deemed ripe for development
- Clairton police present interactive seminar on use of force
- Glassport fire department gets OK to buy new truck
- Duquesne man charged with sex assault of minor
- Damaged Marina at McKees Point still slated to open in May
- McKeesport man: Ex-girlfriend ‘attempted to run me over’
- East Allegheny may consider contract with new transporter