White Oak post honors Legionnaire of the Year
Since 1973, Andy Sandusky of McKeesport has spearheaded a fundraiser for the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Free Care Fund.
Donations to his A. Sandusky Free Care Friends Drive surpassed $100,000 last year.
He will be recognized as Legionnaire of the Year by White Oak American Legion Post 701 tonight at 8:30. The ceremony will be open to the public.
“I am very honored to receive this award from the officers and membership,” Sandusky said.
He praised the post for its longtime support of his drive.
“There are no words to say how much (Post 701) is appreciated,” he said. “Thank you all for your support.”
Senior vice Commander Dom Kasony, the post's acting commander, said the decision to honor Sandusky was an easy one.
“Andy is a role model for all of us,” Kasony said. “He has lived in McKeesport all his life and he was a police officer in McKeesport. For the last 30 or 40 years, he has always represented the legion in the best possible way.
“If I could give him the Legionnaire of the Decade award, I would because he deserves it.”
Carol Waterloo Frazier is an editor for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1916, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Longtime teacher, West Elizabeth councilman dies at 67
- 13th annual Fido Ball raises funds for White Oak Animal Safe Haven
- East Allegheny gives judge candidate’s seat on school board to her husband
- Suspect recaptured after escaping custody at UPMC McKeesport
- Eagle Scout candidate completes replacement of Versailles park’s retaining wall
- Jefferson Hills councilors get results of audit
- Clairton joins Live Well Allegheny campaign
- Forward supervisors skeptical Pangburn Hollow Road will be repaved this year
- McKeesport Area honors longtime coach by naming Weigle-Schaeffer field in his honor
- Wilmerding council unsure whether business needs occupancy permit
- White Oak rec center plans move ahead