Smell of gas disrupts ex-Elizabeth school for 2nd straight day
A day care center and other tenants of the former Elizabeth Elementary School building were disrupted on two consecutive days this week because of gas odors.
“There's a strong smell of gas,” Elizabeth borough secretary Pam Sharp said at her office across the street late Tuesday morning.
Monday's problem was traced to a car leaking gas, authorities said, but Peoples Natural Gas crews were called to fix the problem on Tuesday.
“We found a very small gas leak in the boiler room,” Peoples spokesman Barry Kukovich said. “It was a 2-inch fitting where the school's gas pipe connected to the boiler.”
Firefighters from Elizabeth and Glassport were called to block off Third Avenue during Tuesday's emergency, which began around 11:46 a.m. and was resolved enough that Glassport firefighters returned to their station within 45 minutes.
“Three adults are being evaluated with headaches,” Pennsylvania 1 Call's pa1call.net emailed shortly after noon. Pennsylvania 1 Call handles emergencies that may involve underground utility lines.
“There is no evacuation at this time,” the email said.
Monday,'s evacuation sent youngsters and teachers to the borough office.
Police thought it might have been from a vehicle that had a pool of liquid under it, borough emergency personnel said. The car was towed away.
On Tuesday a plumber was called to fix the leak. Kukovich anticipated the utility turning the gas back on late in the afternoon.
“The day care center was not closed,” Kukovich said.
Patrick Cloonan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-916, ext. 1967, or firstname.lastname@example.org.