TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Elizabeth Township house burns a 2nd time

Cindy Shegan Keeley | Daily News - Ed Hildebrand watches as crews extinquish a fire at the Meade Street home of his daughter Amy Stockdill in the Boston section of Elizabeth Township on Tuesday afternoon.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>Cindy Shegan Keeley | Daily News</em></div>Ed Hildebrand watches as crews extinquish a fire at the Meade Street home of his daughter Amy Stockdill in the Boston section of Elizabeth Township on Tuesday afternoon.
Cindy Shegan Keeley | Daily News - Amber Stockdill checks on the dogs who were put into her neighbor's yard after she was evacuated from her Meade Street home.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>Cindy Shegan Keeley | Daily News</em></div>Amber Stockdill checks on the dogs who were put into her neighbor's yard after she was evacuated from her Meade Street home.
By Tim Karan
Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2013, 4:36 a.m.
 

Fire broke out on Tuesday afternoon in an Elizabeth Township house that had been repaired after another fire less than a year ago.

Multiple crews responded to the single-story home on Meade Street around 12:30 when witnesses reported seeing smoke pouring from a side window.

Elizabeth Township Fire Department Chief Chris Molinaro said the blaze mostly was contained to one bedroom.

“Central Fire Department arrived on scene first and found a good fire in the bedroom, extending into another room,” he said. “There's significant damage in the room that was on fire, moderate damage to the second bedroom and medium to minor smoke and water damage to the rest of the house.”

Molinaro said nobody was home when the fire broke out, but crews rescued a dog that was in good condition and moved it to a neighbor's yard.

Ed Hildebrand, who lives two doors down, said his daughter, Amber Stockdill, 27, owns and lives in the house with her fiancé, two children and two dogs. He said the family recently had moved back into the home after an electrical fire last November forced them out.

“The renovations were just finished a couple months ago,” said Hildebrand. “They had just moved back in right before school started in August.”

Hildebrand said his daughter, a registered nurse at ManorCare Health Services in Whitehall, and her fiancé were at work when the fire started. The children were at school and the second dog was not at the house when crews arrived.

“It looks like it started in my granddaughter's bedroom,” Hildebrand said. “It was electrical last time and it's looking like that might be what happened again.”

Molinaro could not immediately confirm a cause.

“We've been here in the past, but there's nothing suspicious at this point,” he said. “We're not going to say anything until the fire marshal investigates.”

Elizabeth Township Fire Department No. 1, Central, Greenock, Liberty, Versailles, Lincoln and Sutersville fire departments and Elizabeth Township fire and EMS assisted at the scene.

Tim Karan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161 ext. 1970, or tkaran@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read McKeesport

  1. Homestead Bottom Dollar’s fixtures, equipment head to auction
  2. Mon-Yough lawmakers split on Wolf’s budget plan
  3. Mon-Yough communities continue recovery efforts from high waters
  4. McKeesport backs effort to rebuild housing in Seventh Ward
  5. Members of Steel Valley, Twin Rivers councils of governments to keep jobs in merger
  6. Charges held for court in robbery of Elizabeth gas station with machete
  7. Suspect arrested in fatal West Mifflin shooting
  8. Mon-Yough Laurels & Lances
  9. Seuss stories inspire ‘math in a hat’
  10. School officials hopeful of seeing increases in education funding under Wolf plan
  11. Ice jam wipes out McKeesport’s marina