Versailles to maintain tax rate
Versailles council has adopted an $848,900 budget for 2014.
The new spending plan, approved at a special meeting on Friday, represents a reduction of almost $11,000 in projected expenditures over the current year and holds the tax rate at 7 mills.
All councilors at the meeting voted for the budget. Councilors Gary Roscoe and Cheryl Flaherty were absent.
Council voted to retain retiring secretary Barb Warhold during January until her replacement is hired.
Warhold's last scheduled day was to be Dec. 31. Council will pay Warhold $30 an hour and has the option to retain her on a monthly basis, if need be.
Council president Linda Sheedy said Warhold will function as secretary and local services tax collector.
Earlier this month, council voted unanimously to fire Jennifer Richards, who was hired as secretary last year.
Sheedy said she contacted a temporary employment agency about having someone fill in until a new secretary was hired and was quoted a rate of $25 per hour with no guarantee that the person would have municipal experience.
Warhold will be responsible for training the new secretary when he or she is hired.
Applications for the position are being accepted through Jan. 3.
Eric Slagle is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1966, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McKeesport-based Internet radio station WMCK.FM touted as ‘college radio without the college’
- EQT: No drilling in McKeesport planned before 2017
- Clairton seeks end to Act 47 restraints
- Wilmerding shops around while negotiating North Versailles police contract
- Dictionary distribution gives Forward 3rd-graders taste of old school
- Fundraiser planned for McKeesport deputy fire chief
- Next of kin sought for man whose body was found in Youghiogheny River
- Elizabeth Township gives police chief raise, hires 3 officers
- McKeesport shooting victim in stable condition