Versailles to maintain tax rate
Versailles council has adopted an $848,900 budget for 2014.
The new spending plan, approved at a special meeting on Friday, represents a reduction of almost $11,000 in projected expenditures over the current year and holds the tax rate at 7 mills.
All councilors at the meeting voted for the budget. Councilors Gary Roscoe and Cheryl Flaherty were absent.
Council voted to retain retiring secretary Barb Warhold during January until her replacement is hired.
Warhold's last scheduled day was to be Dec. 31. Council will pay Warhold $30 an hour and has the option to retain her on a monthly basis, if need be.
Council president Linda Sheedy said Warhold will function as secretary and local services tax collector.
Earlier this month, council voted unanimously to fire Jennifer Richards, who was hired as secretary last year.
Sheedy said she contacted a temporary employment agency about having someone fill in until a new secretary was hired and was quoted a rate of $25 per hour with no guarantee that the person would have municipal experience.
Warhold will be responsible for training the new secretary when he or she is hired.
Applications for the position are being accepted through Jan. 3.
Eric Slagle is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1966, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ramp dedicated to slain McKeesport officer’s memory
- Teen’s family turns tragedy into lesson for McKeesport students
- County investigators determine fatal McKeesport fire started in living room
- Shelter’s spat with YCC is delayed
- Liberty hires 2 part-time police officers, honors another
- White Oak moves forward on community center
- Holocaust survivor shares his story again
- McKeesport Area first-grader brings toy gun on school bus
- Propel Homestead playground plans revealed