Pipes, car batteries at risk when temperatures dip
With temperatures expected to hover around the zero-degree mark through Wednesday, homes and automobiles are at risk.
This is the season for frozen water lines, heater failures and dead car batteries, but there are ways to protect against weather-related damage.
Anyone who has had a frozen drain or water line at home — or even those who haven't — should be on alert now, Elizabeth Township-based plumber Bob Frazier said.
Pipes most at risk are those located in drafty areas, between noninsulated walls or in crawl spaces where they are not exposed to interior heat.
“Turn on cold and hot water just a trickle,” Frazier said. Moving water is less apt to freeze. If there has been freezing in the past, it's best to run the tap near the problem point.
Most homes built in recent decades have insulated pipes, but pipes in older homes may be exposed, Frazier said. An electric heat tape can be wrapped around pipes to prevent freezes.
If a pipe already is outfitted with heat tape, Frazier said this is the time to plug it in. Heat tapes and other temporary devices such as electric heaters should be equipped with a thermostat and meet Underwriters Laboratories' safety specifications, he said.
Frazier cautions against using a handheld hair dryer to thaw pipes. Heat expansion from the dryer, especially in copper lines, can result in a rupture.
Drain lines can freeze, and in some minor cases that can be fixed by applying powdered calcium chloride or table salt. If that fails, Frazier said, it's best to call a plumber who will have special equipment to snake or thaw the pipe.
Precautions should be taken when using a portable heater.
Chief Shane Spielvogle of United Fire Rescue in East McKeesport said faulty heaters and heater placement can result in serious safety risks.
Equipment intended for outdoor use only — such as a barbecue grill — never should be used in the home.
Outdated heaters that burn kerosene and propane can put residents at risk from exposure to carbon monoxide.
A carbon monoxide emissions detector should be used in conjunction with any fuel-burning heater.
Electric heaters can pose dangers, too.
“Electric space heaters can overload circuits in the home,” Spielvogle said. For that reason, only one heater should be used at a time.
Heaters can spark fires if they are placed too close to drapes, furniture or newspaper.
Spielvogle advises keeping heaters at least 18 inches away from combustibles items and, if possible, placing them on a hard surfaced floor or sheet of plywood.
“People have good intentions for alternative heating,” the chief said. “Unfortunately, they're not always the safest. It's best to use your common sense.”
Where automobiles are concerned, Steele City Auto owner Frank Steele said there are many preventive steps drivers can take to avoid getting stranded in the cold.
“First and foremost, get your battery tested,” Steele said, noting a battery that functions fine in normal weather can fail when temperatures get really low.
It's important to give vehicles at least 10 minutes to warm up before driving, Steele said. Motor oil settles and needs time to warm before it starts cycling to adequately protect moving engine parts.
Steele said one of the most common cold weather problems he sees is broken windshield wiper arms.
“We actually had four broken wiper arms last week,” he said.
“Never turn your wipers on until you've scraped the window and freed the wiper blades from the ice,” he said.
Steele said an application of lock de-icer or spray lubricant, such as WD-40, can protect against frozen door locks.
During winter, Steele said drivers should keep their fuel tank at least half full to prevent gasoline from gelling.
He said drivers should add a fuel line anti-freeze approximately every five fill-ups to reduce moisture problems.
Eric Slagle is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161 ext. 1966, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Munhall garbage collection rates to increase
- Charity helps dozens of McKeesport area children in need get new shoes
- McKeesport Area student’s Project Christmas expands in 2nd year
- McKeesport man sentenced to house arrest in armed robbery
- Jamie’s Dream Team founder says she will press on despite new illness
- McKeesport nonprofit, Youth Works ensure Allied Health students can continue training
- Brass plaque stolen from McKeesport veterans memorial
- Teen who accused Clairton police of brutality pleads guilty to lesser charges
- Greensburg pit bull advocacy group plans fundraiser in Homestead
- McKeesport Area fourth-grader thrilled with gift from White Oak Lions Club
- Polka musician ‘Mr. December’ bringing his fiddle to McKeesport lodge