TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

White Oak animal shelter theft case postponed for the 3rd time

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

Friday, Jan. 10, 2014, 1:01 a.m.
 

Formal arraignment was continued for a third time for an Elizabeth Township man charged with the theft of $73,000 from the White Oak Animal Safe Haven.

The no-kill animal shelter's one-time vice president and manager, Frank Sabolcik, 33, remains free on $5,000 bond as he awaits a presentation of the charges against him in Allegheny County Common Pleas Court.

Sabolcik's attorney said all three continuances were requested by the district attorney's office.

“I have no idea (why),” Ryan Tutera said. “I don't care to speculate.”

Sabolcik was arrested by county police on Aug. 8 and charged with felony counts of theft by unlawful taking, theft by deception and receiving stolen property.

A 15-page county police affidavit alleges that he misused a debit card and mishandled proceeds from a car raffle and a recycling program.

District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr.'s spokesman Mike Manko was asked if there had been any change in the charges or if other arrests are anticipated.

“I'm not aware of any changes to the case,” Manko said in an email on Wednesday. “And I do not believe they are pursuing anyone else at this time.”

At a 45-minute preliminary hearing on Sept. 16 in Forward Township, Tutera and Assistant District Attorney Lee Goldfarb exchanged objections and dueled over the propriety of Sabolcik's actions between May 2011 and September 2012.

Magisterial District Judge Beth S. Mills found that a prima facie case existed and held the charges for trial.

She scheduled formal arraignment for Nov. 1, but it was continued until Nov. 25, then until Thursday, when it was postponed again.

It is scheduled for Feb. 5 at 9 a.m. in room 519 of the county courthouse.

Tutera said he remains convinced of his client's innocence.

“At the end of the day he will get his fair day in court,” Tutera said. “I believe in the justice system. It does take time, and in the end justice will be served.”

Patrick Cloonan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161 ext. 1967, or pcloonan@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read McKeesport

  1. Restrictions begin on Route 51 south
  2. Elizabeth fire department’s Riverfest kicks off
  3. West Mifflin bridge rehab expected to continue ’til late 2016
  4. Police initiative puts the heat on  aggressive drivers
  5. GTECH Strategies volunteers to beautify McKeesport
  6. McKeesport radio station asks FCC for permission to go dark at night
  7. McKeesport’s Mon Yough Area Chamber of Commerce revamps website
  8. New state regulations are taxing for some
  9. Party to honor McKeesport woman’s memory, legacy
  10. Volunteers give new life to Clairton veterans memorial
  11. North Versailles increases summer public works employees