North Versailles grill damaged
By Patrick Cloonan
Published: Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014, 1:21 a.m.
No injuries are reported in a smoky Friday afternoon fire at Champs Sports Grill & Lounge in North Versailles Township's Great Valley Shopping Center.
“There was heavy smoke coming out of the front when we arrived,” Fire Department of North Versailles Chief Mike Volpe said. “It looks like it started back in the kitchen area.”
His volunteers were called at 1:43 p.m. and were aided by Wilmerding, White Oak and Turtle Creek departments.
Pitcairn and Glassport rapid intervention teams and White Oak EMS were called as well.
“The crews went in and quickly knocked it down,” Volpe said.
The fire was under control within 30 minutes and crews were being sent home by 2:30 p.m.
The North Versailles chief said the fire did not spread to the businesses on either side of the restaurant.
“We didn't smell anything, we didn't see anything,” Good Samaritan store manager Suzanne Ramey said. “The fire department came and told us to close up and get out.”
Employees at Weiser Jimco Co., a plumbing supply firm, were evacuated as well.
Both stores were allowed to reopen after the fire was out in Champs.
The Champs location at one time housed an Isaly's store. The current business moved into the location approximately two years ago. For three years before that Great Valley Diner was located there.
A cause for the fire was not available, pending an investigation by the Allegheny County Fire Marshal's office.
Patrick Cloonan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1967, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- West Mifflin business joins forces with East Allegheny students
- Prescription Drug Take Back Day to be observed locally
- Local Episcopal priest sentenced in child pornography case
- White Oak residents can sign up through borough police for county’s new registry
- Elizabeth council seeks $500,000 state gaming grant to aid flood recovery
- West Jefferson board approves bids for multiple projects
- North Versailles magisterial judge “retires” but remains on bench
- Mon Valley public works crews begin patchwork on pothole-filled roadways
- 2 South Allegheny students earn accolades for environmental awareness artwork
- White Oak council applies for grant to improve athletic association
- Juvenile found dead in Munhall home