TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

North Versailles grill damaged

Cindy Shegan Keeley | Daily News
Crews from Fire Department of North Versailles wrap up their work on the scene of a Friday afternoon fire at Champs Sports Grill & Lounge in Great Valley Shopping Center.

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014, 1:21 a.m.
 

No injuries are reported in a smoky Friday afternoon fire at Champs Sports Grill & Lounge in North Versailles Township's Great Valley Shopping Center.

“There was heavy smoke coming out of the front when we arrived,” Fire Department of North Versailles Chief Mike Volpe said. “It looks like it started back in the kitchen area.”

His volunteers were called at 1:43 p.m. and were aided by Wilmerding, White Oak and Turtle Creek departments.

Pitcairn and Glassport rapid intervention teams and White Oak EMS were called as well.

“The crews went in and quickly knocked it down,” Volpe said.

The fire was under control within 30 minutes and crews were being sent home by 2:30 p.m.

The North Versailles chief said the fire did not spread to the businesses on either side of the restaurant.

“We didn't smell anything, we didn't see anything,” Good Samaritan store manager Suzanne Ramey said. “The fire department came and told us to close up and get out.”

Employees at Weiser Jimco Co., a plumbing supply firm, were evacuated as well.

Both stores were allowed to reopen after the fire was out in Champs.

The Champs location at one time housed an Isaly's store. The current business moved into the location approximately two years ago. For three years before that Great Valley Diner was located there.

A cause for the fire was not available, pending an investigation by the Allegheny County Fire Marshal's office.

Patrick Cloonan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1967, or pcloonan@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read McKeesport

  1. Local residents reminisce about Glassport pool
  2. Mifflin Road project is on schedule, within budget
  3. 3 charged in carjack attempt in Duquesne
  4. Steel Valley extends superintendent’s contract
  5. McKeesport homicide hearing turns turbulent
  6. Elizabeth firefighters to receive new gear
  7. Homestead Cemetery board members deny bankruptcy filing
  8. Irwin woman waives sex charges to court
  9. Homestead summit addresses ways to help inmates transition after prison
  10. More work to begin on Homestead-Duquesne Road
  11. Homestead Cemetery board files for bankruptcy