TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Ex-White Oak animal shelter official to stand trial for theft

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

Thursday, Feb. 6, 2014, 4:51 a.m.
 

The case of alleged theft by a former White Oak Animal Safe Haven executive is moving on to trial in Allegheny County Common Pleas Court.

Formal arraignment was Wednesday for Frank Sabolcik, 33, of Elizabeth Township, who is charged with felony counts of theft by unlawful taking, theft by deception and receiving stolen property.

Sabolcik was arrested by county police on Aug. 8 and accused of stealing $73,000 from the no-kill animal shelter along Lincoln Way, across from the borough building.

He started as a volunteer, and became shelter manager and vice president.

A 15-page county police affidavit alleges that he misused a debit card and mishandled proceeds from a car raffle and a recycling program.

Sabolcik was bound over for trial by Magisterial District Judge Beth S. Mills and ordered to face formal arraignment.

The arraignment was continued three times, from Nov. 1, Nov. 25 and Jan. 9.

Sabolcik's attorney said the continuances were requested by the district attorney's office.

“I have no idea (why),” Ryan Tutera said at the Jan. 9 continuance. “I don't care to speculate.”

District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr.'s spokesman Mike Manko said he was not aware of any changes to the case.

“And I do not believe they are pursuing anyone else at this time,” Manko said in an email last month.

In an email on Wednesday, Manko said there was nothing unusual about the continuances.

Tutera repeatedly has insisted that his client is innocent.

“I believe in the justice system,” Tutera said last month. “It does take time, and in the end justice will be served.”

According to court records, a pre-trial conference is scheduled for March 28 at 9 a.m. before Common Pleas Judge Kevin G. Sasinoski.

Sabolcik remains free on $5,000 bond.

Patrick Cloonan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161 ext. 1967, or pcloonan@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read McKeesport

  1. Local residents reminisce about Glassport pool
  2. Mon Yough school districts, nonprofits getting by for now with no state budget
  3. Mifflin Road project is on schedule, within budget
  4. More work to begin on Homestead-Duquesne Road
  5. Steel Valley extends superintendent’s contract
  6. Homestead Cemetery board files for bankruptcy
  7. Steel Valley rejects bids, says restrooms will be constructed in-house
  8. Legos, computers draw students to Elizabeth Forward tech camp
  9. 3 charged in carjack attempt in Duquesne
  10. 4-D Theater debuts at Kennywood
  11. Intrepid VFW post in West Mifflin earns all-state designation