South Allegheny school board OKs purchase of additional fitness equipment
South Allegheny School District is set to purchase nearly $55,000 worth of fitness equipment to enhance its forthcoming Community Learning and Wellness Center.
The school board approved on Thursday a $54,448 deal with G&G Fitness on COSTARS-priced equipment including five Life Fitness Integrity treadmills, two Octane elliptical machines, one Octane lateral trainer, two Octane Xrides and two Life Fitness recumbent bikes.
“This purchase will add to the equipment that we received through a grant from the Governor's Fitness Council,” Superintendent Wayne Gdovic said.
South Allegheny received exercise equipment valued at $100,000 from a Governor's Fitness Council grant at the start of the 2012-13 academic year.
“This is a gift that keeps on giving,” Gov. Tom Corbett said during a visit to the middle school.
The equipment will be moved from the middle school to the new center, making it available for public use and freeing classroom space at the school.
Crews from the Jefferson Hills-based Plavchak Construction broke ground for the 66-by-64-foot addition, located off the high school's auxiliary gymnasium, in July. The new facility will house a cardiovascular training center with state-of-the-art equipment and locker rooms.
Total cost of the project will be $1,030,890, funded in part by a $150,000 infrastructure and tourism grant facilitated by the Redevelopment Authority of Allegheny County. A district bond issue will cover the remainder.
Crews continue to work through the harsh winter with a goal to have the facility open later this year.
“We've been delayed by the weather,” Gdovic said. “We are planning a spring opening.”
In other business, the school board approved:
• Carnegie Library Bookmobile services through January 2015. The new contract includes a 3 percent rate increase for an annual cost of $10,825.
The Bookmobile offers book exchanges to Liberty, Lincoln, Glassport and Port Vue residents of any age. It visits the South Allegheny Elementary parking lot every Saturday from 2-3 p.m.
• Pat Monroe's attendance at the Pennsylvania Scholastic Football Coaches Association Clinic at Penn State University. Monroe is a state director and will coach the West team in an East/West All-Star game on March 4.
Jennifer R. Vertullo is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1956, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McKeesport councilman fined, given probation in gambling ring
- Pleasant Hills Night Out attracts large crowd
- Whitaker man to serve 2 life sentences for West Mifflin murders
- McKeesport police arrest teen on gun charges
- Strike remains possible for East Allegheny teachers
- Pleasant Hills council awards paving contract
- Steel Valley school board president seeks donation policy
- Glassport Scout completes Eagle Project
- Century Town Homes residents, Clairton officials frustrated
- Suspect in McKeesport home invasion arrested in Toledo
- Steel Valley board contemplates raising lunch prices