TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

McKeesport fire displaces mother, 2 children

Monday, March 3, 2014, 1:26 a.m.
 

A McKeesport family was displaced by a Saturday night fire that destroyed their home.

City firefighters were called to a structure fire in the 1700 block of Packer Street at 9:31 p.m.

“It was fully involved when we arrived,” Deputy Chief Vince Wassel said. “The whole second floor was involved.”

Officials said a mother and two children were not home when the blaze began. She had taken her children to a family member's house for the night and came home to find firefighters in action.

The crew rescued a dog from a crate in the basement. Because the fire started in an upper level of the residence, the dog was unaffected by smoke or heat, Wassel said.

“There were no injuries, but the house was pretty much destroyed,” Wassel said. “What the fire didn't get, smoke and water did.”

The American Red Cross confirmed it is assisting the family with food and clothing.

Allegheny County Fire Marshal's Office is investigating.

Jennifer R. Vertullo is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-664-9161 ext. 1956, or jvertullo@tribweb.com.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read McKeesport

  1. West Mifflin woman held for court, accused of leaving baby unattended
  2. Steel Valley board contemplates raising lunch prices
  3. Steel Valley considers athletics policy on coaching positions
  4. Civic organization donates to Clairton Police Department
  5. Judge refuses to reduce bail for McKeesport robbery suspect
  6. PHEAA, FAFSA Scams threaten students, families
  7. Suspect in McKeesport home invasion arrested in Toledo
  8. White Oak man ordered to pay fine in gambling ring case
  9. Glassport Scout completes Eagle Project
  10. Century Town Homes residents, Clairton officials frustrated
  11. Elizabeth’s Riverfest is a family oriented event
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.