McKeesport fire displaces mother, 2 children
A McKeesport family was displaced by a Saturday night fire that destroyed their home.
City firefighters were called to a structure fire in the 1700 block of Packer Street at 9:31 p.m.
“It was fully involved when we arrived,” Deputy Chief Vince Wassel said. “The whole second floor was involved.”
Officials said a mother and two children were not home when the blaze began. She had taken her children to a family member's house for the night and came home to find firefighters in action.
The crew rescued a dog from a crate in the basement. Because the fire started in an upper level of the residence, the dog was unaffected by smoke or heat, Wassel said.
“There were no injuries, but the house was pretty much destroyed,” Wassel said. “What the fire didn't get, smoke and water did.”
The American Red Cross confirmed it is assisting the family with food and clothing.
Allegheny County Fire Marshal's Office is investigating.
Jennifer R. Vertullo is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-664-9161 ext. 1956, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 2 firefighters injured battling Munhall blaze
- Former Century III Mall general manager waives charges
- Port Vue approves $430,000 fire truck purchase
- Dravosburg more than doubles its fire tax to pay debt, buy new truck
- Overall Mon-Yough homicide stats remain steady
- St. Agnes students assist food bank during Catholic Schools Week
- West Mifflin thrift store sells winning lottery ticket