2 shot outside McKeesport convenience store
A man and woman were transported to UPMC Mercy by McKeesport Ambulance Rescue Service after being shot outside a McKeesport convenience store Thursday afternoon.
Police responded to the call around 4:20 p.m. near the intersection of Ohio and Brownlee streets across from Crawford Village.
The woman reportedly was shot twice, once in the leg and once in the arm, and the man was shot in the lower back.
McKeesport police assistant Chief Tom Greene said no additional information about the victims could be released at presstime and Allegheny County Police were taking over the investigation.
Greene confirmed officers are looking for a male shooter and a weapon. He said a dark gray Hyundai believed to have been involved in the shooting was found at another location in the city. Officers marked more than 12 shell casings as evidence along the cobblestone road by the store.
Authorities are reviewing video surveillance footage from nearby buildings.
A store clerk, who declined to be identified, said video shows a dark-colored vehicle traveling along Brownlee Street and someone inside opened fire on the two people.
The victims ran inside the store, kicked in a side door and made their way to the back of the store to avoid more gunfire.
“I heard gunshots and everybody flew to the back,” the clerk said. “They kicked the door down. This is the worst, most emotional week.”
Another employee closed the store after police cleared the scene sometime before 5:30. It's unknown when the store will reopen.
McKeesport resident Elaine Stanton said she was on her way to the store when she heard shots and saw someone flee the scene.
“They need to stop this,” Stanton said. “I don't like this kind of mess, people killing each other.”
The incident grabbed the attention of many people near the scene. A woman living in an apartment about a block away from the store said it sounded like someone fired a machine gun.
“I heard all the rounds. It was just nonstop,” the woman said.
Another woman, who did not wish to give her name, said she drove someone from the store to get her nails done shortly before the shooting. “It was just fine out here 20 minutes ago,” she said.
Anyone with information about the shooting should contact McKeesport police at 412-675-5050 or Allegheny County police at 412-473-3000. Callers may remain anonymous.
Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1965.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Food bank CEO hopeful of tax break for donors
- Century III Mall’s Sears on track to close Dec. 7
- McKeesport’s Davis is vice chair of county Dem party
- Parade to start off Winterfest in Glassport
- Thousands depend on Mon Valley area red kettle drive
- McKeesport wrestling promoters hope for smashing success with anniversary show
- Former Clairton resident killed
- Fire marshal investigating cause of Wilmerding house fires
- Braddock agency is a lifeline for commuters
- McKeesport Area, South Allegheny, Elizabeth Forward musicians head to holiday parades
- Shoppers vexed by choice between getting best bargains, spending time with family