Markosek supports McCord for governor
A Mon-Yough lawmaker threw his support Thursday behind state Treasurer Rob McCord's bid for the Democratic gubernatorial nod.
“His commitment to education is deeply personal,” said House Appropriations Minority Chairman Joseph Markosek, D-Monroeville. “Education rescued him from economic insecurity and I know he wants kids today to have the same shot.”
Markosek, House Minority Leader Frank Dermody, D-Oakmont, and Allegheny County House Minority Caucus Chairman Dom Costa, D-Pittsburgh, endorsed McCord.
“It's so important that we nominate someone who can defeat and evict Tom Corbett this fall,” McCord said. “With the support of these three leaders, we're getting even closer to making that happen.”
Markosek is rare among Mon-Yough elected officials in not endorsing Tom Wolf, a York businessman backed by many in Allegheny County's Democratic establishment.
Also bucking that trend is Senate Minority Leader Jay Costa Jr., D-Forest Hills, who backs U.S. Rep. Allyson Schwartz, D-Philadelphia.
Patrick Cloonan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1967, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cemetery in Munhall considers filing for bankruptcy
- McKeesport salons merge
- East Allegheny officials willing to continue contract talks
- Organizers prepare for Warrior Run fundraiser
- Steel Valley keeps taxes flat in 2015-16 budget
- UPMC McKeesport’s stroke team recognized
- Propel sixth-graders chronicle McKeesport history for younger peers
- Students benefit from annual Brewster-sponsored government seminar
- Munhall bridge to close for reconstruction
- Elizabeth police join DUI task force
- Truck smashes into house, driver arrested in Elizabeth Township