North Versailles officials stress cleanliness in business areas
North Versailles Township officials are reaching out to businesses to have them clean up their properties.
Commissioners fielded concerns about trash and messy parking lots at Thursday evening's meeting.
Commission president George Thompson called for action.
“If you have a store or something in this town, just redd up around it,” Thompson said. “I think if everybody pitches in we'll get that. I'm always around this town and I'm going to be looking (for cleaned areas).”
Thompson said code enforcement officer Allen Wagner will meet with some of the managers and owners of the larger businesses first to alert them about the cleaning initiative.
“We love having the people come in (to the businesses). I just don't like what they leave (on the ground),” Thompson said. “We're not here to pick on anybody.”
Commissioner Vince Paradine lauded Alpine Packaging Inc. for their cleanup efforts.
Commissioners also approved the following actions:
• Ratified a phone vote taken on May 5 to hire Gerald O'Keefe and Frank Bivins for the summer work program at a rate of $8.50 per hour.
• Hired Matthew Smith, Ryan Coles, Adam Jacko, Colin Humphrey, Brett Borelle and Sam Richardson as summer help at a rate of $8.50 per hour.
• Authorized Traffic Systems to replace the loop detector at the intersection of Greensburg Pike and Warren Drive at a cost of $1,860.
• Obtained quotes for a new pickup truck for the road department.
• Hired summer lunch program worker Eileen Ulichnie at $8.50 per hour, not to exceed four hours per day, for an eight-week period.
• Awarded a $13,900 contract to JL Urban for the Tintsman Avenue storm sewer project.
• Adopted a resolution supporting increased Community Development Block Grant funding.
• Proclaimed June 8-14 as Childhood Cancer Awareness Week.
• Designated the third Saturday in October as Make a Difference Day.
• Adopted a resolution to appoint township manager Patricia Logo as the delegate to the Allegheny County Southeast Tax Collection Committee and township tax collector Mary Ann Fetsick as the alternate.
• A $500 donation to the North Versailles Township/East McKeesport police Bike Rodeo and Safety Fair. The event is on May 31 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the East McKeesport Ball Field for those ages 12 and younger.
More information about the event is available online at www.eastmckeesportboro.com.
Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1965.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McKeesport Rib Festival wraps up with Monday concert, fireworks show
- Committee to advise Munhall on vacant properties
- East Allegheny officials confirm strike, notify parents
- McKeesport Area, South Allegheny districts upgrade school security
- Students’ use of iPads a minefield
- Return to classes means it’s time to strike up the bands once again
- Elizabeth Forward School District fosters high-tech culture
- McKeesport anti-violence group takes root
- Property transfer blurs lines of Penn-McKee restoration efforts
- 2 held for arraignments in Munhall gun case
- McKeesport Area teacher fired amid sex scandal returns to school