North Versailles officials stress cleanliness in business areas
North Versailles Township officials are reaching out to businesses to have them clean up their properties.
Commissioners fielded concerns about trash and messy parking lots at Thursday evening's meeting.
Commission president George Thompson called for action.
“If you have a store or something in this town, just redd up around it,” Thompson said. “I think if everybody pitches in we'll get that. I'm always around this town and I'm going to be looking (for cleaned areas).”
Thompson said code enforcement officer Allen Wagner will meet with some of the managers and owners of the larger businesses first to alert them about the cleaning initiative.
“We love having the people come in (to the businesses). I just don't like what they leave (on the ground),” Thompson said. “We're not here to pick on anybody.”
Commissioner Vince Paradine lauded Alpine Packaging Inc. for their cleanup efforts.
Commissioners also approved the following actions:
• Ratified a phone vote taken on May 5 to hire Gerald O'Keefe and Frank Bivins for the summer work program at a rate of $8.50 per hour.
• Hired Matthew Smith, Ryan Coles, Adam Jacko, Colin Humphrey, Brett Borelle and Sam Richardson as summer help at a rate of $8.50 per hour.
• Authorized Traffic Systems to replace the loop detector at the intersection of Greensburg Pike and Warren Drive at a cost of $1,860.
• Obtained quotes for a new pickup truck for the road department.
• Hired summer lunch program worker Eileen Ulichnie at $8.50 per hour, not to exceed four hours per day, for an eight-week period.
• Awarded a $13,900 contract to JL Urban for the Tintsman Avenue storm sewer project.
• Adopted a resolution supporting increased Community Development Block Grant funding.
• Proclaimed June 8-14 as Childhood Cancer Awareness Week.
• Designated the third Saturday in October as Make a Difference Day.
• Adopted a resolution to appoint township manager Patricia Logo as the delegate to the Allegheny County Southeast Tax Collection Committee and township tax collector Mary Ann Fetsick as the alternate.
• A $500 donation to the North Versailles Township/East McKeesport police Bike Rodeo and Safety Fair. The event is on May 31 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the East McKeesport Ball Field for those ages 12 and younger.
More information about the event is available online at www.eastmckeesportboro.com.
Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1965.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- McKeesport Area discusses easier access of public documents
- Fire breaks out for 3rd time in abandoned McKeesport house
- Former McKeesport resident donates to heritage center children’s raffle
- Model train exhibit raises funds for McKeesport club
- Homestead to offer select free-parking days during holiday season
- Clairton City School District wins award for its anti-hunger efforts
- Levin Furniture to close Century Square store in West Mifflin
- McKeesport-based pro wrestling group to hold main event Saturday
- McKeesport lights up Kennedy Park at ‘City of Our Little Angels’
- 8-year reprieve ends as Duquesne plans spike in water, sewer rates
- Man injured in 2-alarm house fire in McKeesport