LaRosa Boys & Girls Club gets ready for summer camp
LaRosa Boys & Girls Club members are looking forward to another summer filled with sports, activities and field trips.
The McKeesport club's summer camp schedule runs June 9 through Aug. 8 — nine weeks of supervised play and structured programming intended to exercise students' bodies and minds during their time away from school.
“Our main goal is to provide campers with exciting activities in a safe, caring environment,” club director Jim Barry said. “We have a neat program here. Parents can drop their kids off early in the morning and they're here until the early evening. There's always something for them to do.”
Each week, 5- to 13-year-olds engage in sports programs, indoor and outdoor games, computer learning labs, NFL Play 60 fitness exercises, game room activities, arts, crafts and special events.
“It's educational, but we really try to focus on the fun,” Barry said.
Field trips are planned throughout the summer to the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium, Clairton Pool and local bowling lanes.
“My favorite trips are to the pool,” 8-year-old Jaden Smith said. “I like swimming, and they have a slide.”
Another kid favorite is the camp's kickoff cookout, planned for the first Friday of the summer session.
“It always gets the kids going for the season,” Barry said. “It's something everyone looks forward to. We bring a grill down here, cook hamburgers and hot dogs for the kids, and everyone has a great time.”
New this year is the Brain Game, in which certified teachers will become part of the LaRosa staff to keep kids' classroom skills sharp.
“Competency levels drop between May and August because kids aren't using what they've learned,” Barry said. “We will have interactive math and reading games to promote critical thinking.”
Each day, children are served breakfast, lunch and snacks.
Maximum enrollment is 75 children per week, and families can register their children for as many or as few weeks as they like. Enrollment is $60 per week. Scholarships are available based on families' financial need.
“We're consistent and we're fair,” Barry said. “We try to make it so as many kids can come to the camp as possible.”
LaRosa Boys & Girls Club is located at 901 Ravine St., McKeesport. For more information, call 412-678-7070.
Jennifer R. Vertullo is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1956, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- East Allegheny negotiator responds to proposal from striking teachers
- Homestead to celebrate one of its own at jazz festival
- Flexible-use building in the works for Duquesne
- East Allegheny teachers to hit the picket lines
- McKeesport Area, South Allegheny districts upgrade school security
- 2nd area Speedway store nears completion
- McKeesport Rib Festival wraps up with Monday concert, fireworks show
- Students’ use of iPads a minefield
- Property transfer blurs lines of Penn-McKee restoration efforts
- McKeesport Area teacher fired amid sex scandal returns to school
- Mon River Fleet seeks nominations for Women of Achievement awards