A. Sandusky Free Care Friends hosts its annual motorcycle run
While rain reduced the number of riders in the A. Sandusky Free Care Friends motorcycle run, it didn't dampen the spirits of those who raised funds for Children's Hospital of UPMC patients.
The fifth annual ride and picnic brought roughly 50 motorcycles into McKeesport on Sunday for an afternoon ride from Hoot's Bar & Restaurant into Westmoreland and Fayette counties and back to Renziehausen Park for food hot off the grill and a performance by Jill West and the Blues Attack.
Andy Sandusky, a retired McKeesport police officer, has been raising funds for the Children's Hospital Foundation's Free Care Fund since the 1970s. In 2003, he organized a nonprofit group that has donated more than $200,000 to the cause with bucket donations in local businesses, fire department boot drives and the motorcycle event.
“I can't express in words how great the support is that we receive each year,” Sandusky said. “All I can say is the citizens of McKeesport and the Mon Valley are the greatest. I want to thank each and every one for helping to keep the smiles on the faces of children at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.”
Jennifer R. Vertullo is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1956, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Munhall’s $8.3 million spending plan has no tax hike or furloughs
- Businessman responds to Brewster shale tax proposal
- Polka musician ‘Mr. December’ bringing his fiddle to McKeesport lodge
- West Mifflin soccer fields nearly done, but play will be delayed
- Teen who accused Clairton police of brutality pleads guilty to lesser charges
- Greensburg pit bull advocacy group plans fundraiser in Homestead
- Tax break extension bill has goodies for Mon-Yough area
- Executive says Century III revival plan remains on track
- West Mifflin man charged with risking catastrophe
- Salvation Army edges closer to campaign goals
- McKeesport man arrested in pair of armed robberies