North Versailles announces park improvements
North Versailles Township's parks will receive improvements this summer.
Commissioners on Thursday unanimously approved spending $6,150 for backboards, swing set and kick mats for West Carter Park; $386 for toddler swings for Washington Road Park; and $5,370 for backboards, swing set seats and line painting for Dixon Park.
“It's going to look good,” Sam Juliano, commissioner and parks and recreation chairman said about the upgrades.
The money is coming from the recreation budget because the township recently was turned down for a Community Development Block Grant.
“We've been updating all of our parks little by little,” Juliano said. “It's just listening to the residents and their concerns and what they felt was beneficial to those parks.”
Parks and recreation director Lisa Green said the township addresses safety first and long-term improvements second when it comes to its play areas.
Juliano commended Green for her work in planning park improvements, and noted some of the summer helpers hired earlier this year will be cleaning and maintaining the areas.
North Versailles is awaiting a response to an application it made for a grant through the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources for upgrades to West Wilmerding Park. The township is seeking other park-related grants as well.
• The purchase and installation of a new server at the police station from Norman Allen for $9,979.
• Adding the police computers to the administration's service agreement with Norman Allen for $187 per month.
• Authorizing Officer Chris Kelly to attend an advanced handgun training course in October for $525.
• Purchasing a 2014 Ford F350 Crew Cab pickup truck with spreader and plow from Day Ford through CoStars for $49,956.
• Authorization of township engineer Dave Gilliland to advertise for bids to repair the Osborne Street Bridge.
• A resolution recognizing the North Versailles Township Public Library as a civic association under the small games of chance license requirements.
Library trustee Louise Beswick showed a presentation of the library's reading garden at Thursday's meeting.
The garden is an outdoor reading area, and will be formally revealed on Saturday at 11 a.m. with the library board, Friends of the North Versailles Township Public Library and Boy Scout Troop 85.
Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1965, or firstname.lastname@example.org.