North Versailles announces park improvements
North Versailles Township's parks will receive improvements this summer.
Commissioners on Thursday unanimously approved spending $6,150 for backboards, swing set and kick mats for West Carter Park; $386 for toddler swings for Washington Road Park; and $5,370 for backboards, swing set seats and line painting for Dixon Park.
“It's going to look good,” Sam Juliano, commissioner and parks and recreation chairman said about the upgrades.
The money is coming from the recreation budget because the township recently was turned down for a Community Development Block Grant.
“We've been updating all of our parks little by little,” Juliano said. “It's just listening to the residents and their concerns and what they felt was beneficial to those parks.”
Parks and recreation director Lisa Green said the township addresses safety first and long-term improvements second when it comes to its play areas.
Juliano commended Green for her work in planning park improvements, and noted some of the summer helpers hired earlier this year will be cleaning and maintaining the areas.
North Versailles is awaiting a response to an application it made for a grant through the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources for upgrades to West Wilmerding Park. The township is seeking other park-related grants as well.
• The purchase and installation of a new server at the police station from Norman Allen for $9,979.
• Adding the police computers to the administration's service agreement with Norman Allen for $187 per month.
• Authorizing Officer Chris Kelly to attend an advanced handgun training course in October for $525.
• Purchasing a 2014 Ford F350 Crew Cab pickup truck with spreader and plow from Day Ford through CoStars for $49,956.
• Authorization of township engineer Dave Gilliland to advertise for bids to repair the Osborne Street Bridge.
• A resolution recognizing the North Versailles Township Public Library as a civic association under the small games of chance license requirements.
Library trustee Louise Beswick showed a presentation of the library's reading garden at Thursday's meeting.
The garden is an outdoor reading area, and will be formally revealed on Saturday at 11 a.m. with the library board, Friends of the North Versailles Township Public Library and Boy Scout Troop 85.
Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1965, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Ice jam wipes out McKeesport’s marina
- Elizabeth Township, McKeesport impacted by ice jam on Youghiogheny River
- Report identifies Mon-Yough residents who are at risk in train disasters
- Forward Township couple, Florida man arrested in drug sting
- Suspect in multiple Mon Valley armed robberies arrested
- Mon Valley officials optimistic salt supplies will last
- Winter weather likely to shorten summer vacation, delay commencement in East Allegheny
- Wilmerding has big plans for borough’s 125th anniversary
- Duquesne Elementary School students join the ranks of junior constables
- Elizabeth Township drops its solicitor, names interim replacement