Steel Valley director suggests more after-school activities at Park Elementary
Steel Valley school director Susan Ballas wants more after-school activities at Park Elementary.
She made the suggestion at a workshop meeting on Monday.
“I would like to see something more offered there,” Ballas said.
A chess club and some musical activities are offered at Park. Barrett Elementary has those activities as well as a Lego club and several other programs.
Ballas said she would like to see a foreign language offered at Park, and proposed further discussions with administrators and other district officials.
She mentioned after the meeting that foreign language is not in the elementary curriculum, and how to fund additional after-school programs would have to be considered.
Board president Donna Kiefer commended officials for listing more donors on the agenda. Kiefer made note last month of the board not being made aware of all donations made to the district.
The workshop agenda listed a $3,386 donation from the Campbell Educational and Community Foundation for the purchase of championship rings for the baseball team and coaches; $20,000 from the Benedum and Grable foundations for the Creating Value After-School Course; $500 from Cycle for STEM — science, technology, engineering and mathematics — and the Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association Educational Foundation for the new Zulama entertainment technology program at the high school; and $500 from the Homestead Lions Club to the Gridiron Club to provide meals at football camp.
The donations are expected to be accepted at the board's regular meeting on Thursday.
Keifer said those donors will receive thanks from the district.
The board adjourned the workshop meeting into an executive session to discuss personnel matters.
Parents of students entering seventh and eighth grades who want to participate in fall sports need to act quickly. District athletic director Shawn McCallister said middle school practices start on Monday. Students need a physical prior to the first practice. More information is available at the athletic office at 412-464-3600, ext. 2400.
Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1965, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Munhall officials miffed at ex-manager for leaving town
- Clairton residents share concerns over sewage bills
- West Mifflin Area schools boost security in response to threat against student
- West Mifflin official: Buyer expected soon for old administration building
- McKeesport lawmaker’s bill would fund more police by upping fines
- W. Mifflin backs drilling at airport
- Glassport plaque gets new home
- County investigators determine fatal McKeesport fire started in living room
- White Oak Holocaust survivor continues to share tragic story
- Teen’s family turns tragedy into lesson for McKeesport students
- Owners hope carousel will bring fresh audience to Century III Mall