Teen killed in Duquesne was witness in criminal case
Allegheny County homicide detectives are seeking two suspects in the killing of a teen witness to the shooting of a pregnant girl earlier this year.
Duquesne police said LeRoy Powell, 15, was shot about 1:45 p.m. on Wednesday outside a house along the 1000 block of Crawford Avenue.
“We had a call for shots fired,” Duquesne Assistant Chief Scott Adams said. “There was a young man down ... with a gunshot wound to the back. Two shell casings were found.”
County police said the teen was ambushed near his home.
“The county police are working on a general description of the two suspects and hope to release that (on Thursday),” county Assistant Superintendent James Morton said.
McKeesport Ambulance Rescue Service director Bill Miller said the victim was in “extremely critical condition” when he was taken to UPMC McKeesport.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's office said the teenager was pronounced dead there at 2:14 p.m.
Witnesses, who declined to be identified, said the victim was seen running out of a nearby alley when the shooting occurred.
“I heard the gunshot,” said a man who was sleeping in an apartment across Crawford Avenue. “I looked out and just saw the boy lying there, bleeding. He might have been chased.”
The man showed a video of Allegheny County Housing Authority police providing first response before the McKeesport paramedics arrived.
West Mifflin police responded to the call, as well.
Powell testified at a preliminary hearing on July 30 that he thought Eric Taylor, 15, was carrying a gun when Taylor showed up on the porch of DaRae Delgado's home in Duquesne on May 26.
He testified that Taylor later told him, “Don't say anything,” about the shooting that killed 15-year-old Delgado's unborn son.
Taylor is being tried as an adult on charges that include the attempted homicide of Delgado and the murder of the unborn child. He remains in the Allegheny County Jail without bail.
Patrick Cloonan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1967, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Public comment policy varies in Mon Valley school districts
- Munhall resident pleads guilty but mentally ill for killing his mother
- Clairton City School District seeks savings in food service management
- Duquesne Elementary School students join the ranks of junior constables
- Steel Valley to post teacher, administrator salaries online
- McKeesport Area students share views during Black History Month panel talk
- Crowd demands answers from Steel Valley directors over playoff eligibility controversy
- McKeesport incident among derailments that prompt Casey to push ‘crude-by-rail’ rule
- White Oak seeks funds to stabilize road
- Man suspected of robbing Elizabeth gas station with machete arrested
- Elizabeth Forward action to raise some school lunch prices