TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Electrical problem sparks fire in McKeesport truck

Eric Slagle | Daily News
Firefighters tend to a truck fire near Family Dollar in McKeesport on Thursday.

Friday, Aug. 29, 2014, 12:31 a.m.
 

An electrical problem is believed to have caused a truck fire in McKeesport on Thursday.

Marlon Barnes said he was driving the Ford F-150 pickup across the Jerome Bridge at about 12:20 p.m. when “smoke started coming from the hood.”

Barnes said he didn't want to abandon the vehicle on the bridge. So he kept driving until he could get it off Lysle Boulevard. Barnes made the first available right and parked across from the Family Dollar store.

He said he ran into the store and asked someone to call for help.

Fire crews were on the scene quickly but not before the fire burned a hole through the hood.

Barnes said he was taking a load of wood and other debris from a demolition project in Glassport to Homewood when the incident occurred.

Firefighters at the scene said an electrical problem probably sparked the fire.

Eric Slagle is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161 ext. 1966, or eslagle@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read McKeesport

  1. Overall Mon-Yough homicide stats remain steady
  2. St. Agnes students assist food bank during Catholic Schools Week
  3. Former Century III Mall general manager waives charges
  4. West Mifflin thrift store sells winning lottery ticket
  5. Twin Rivers Intermediate students in McKeesport get hands-on science lessons
  6. Steel Valley school directors honor new San Francisco 49ers head coach Tomsula
  7. Propel teams up with local organizations to test performing arts methods
  8. Clairton City School District directors cap possible 2015-16 tax hike at 3 percent
  9. 3 arrested in recent McKeesport business burglaries
  10. McKeesport Area communications specialist develops mobile app
  11. Homestead business owner recalls similar fire 26 years ago