Gateway Midget teams sweep Plum
By Michael Love
Published: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 9:29 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, October 3, 2012
It was a successful Sunday afternoon for the Gateway Midget football teams, as the squads swept Plum at Antimarino Stadium.
Chilly temperatures and rain bathed the field for much of the day, but the Gateway players didn't let the weather bother them.
The Termites (ages 7-9) opened with a 30-0 victory over Plum, and they evened their record at 4-4.
It was their second shutout in three weeks.
The Termites also shut out Norwin, 28-0, on Sept. 16.
The Mites (ages 10-11) snapped a two-game losing streak with a 12-0 victory over Plum. They now are 3-4 on the season, and all three wins are by shutout.
The Midgets (ages 12-13) celebrated a 19-6 win against Plum and improved to 4-3. Several of the Midgets players were honored earlier in the day during a senior recognition ceremony.
The Mites and Midgets have played one less game than the Termites because their scheduled games with Penn-Trafford on Sept. 1 were postponed.
The Gateway teams continued their push to the playoffs with games on Sunday at Franklin Area.
The Termites play at 1 p.m., and the Mites take the field at 2:30. The Midgets game is slated for 4 p.m.
The games will be played on the Franklin Regional High School football field.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
- Officer hurt while chasing suspect in Oakland
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Former president of Derry Area Football Boosters Club charged with stealing $27,000 from group
- Fayette County man dies in 4-vehicle crash
- Lack of runs dooms Kiski Valley in Legion loss
- Pagan’s lawyer seeks info
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.