Wilkinsburg man killed in Monroeville crash
Published: Friday, October 5, 2012, 8:56 a.m.
Updated: Friday, October 5, 2012
It's unclear why a Wilkinsburg man drove across the center line and crashed into an oncoming vehicle, killing himself and injuring five others, Allegheny County Police said Friday.
Francis Spearman, 74, lost control of his vehicle and crashed head-on into another just before 8 p.m. Thursday at Saunders Station and Abers Creek roads in Monroeville, according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office. He died at UPMC Mercy, Uptown.
Two passengers in his vehicle were hurt, as was the driver and two of his passengers in the other vehicle, Lt. Andrew Schurman said. None of the injuries were serious, he said.
Police are investigating why Spearman crossed the center line as he headed eastbound on Saunders, Schurman said.
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Police find burglary suspect’s cellphone at crime scene
- 1 killed, 2 hurt in Bullskin crash
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Former president of Derry Area Football Boosters Club charged with stealing $27,000 from group
- Pagan’s lawyer seeks info
- Reserve woman found shot to death in home
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.