Wilkinsburg man killed in Monroeville crash
It's unclear why a Wilkinsburg man drove across the center line and crashed into an oncoming vehicle, killing himself and injuring five others, Allegheny County Police said Friday.
Francis Spearman, 74, lost control of his vehicle and crashed head-on into another just before 8 p.m. Thursday at Saunders Station and Abers Creek roads in Monroeville, according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office. He died at UPMC Mercy, Uptown.
Two passengers in his vehicle were hurt, as was the driver and two of his passengers in the other vehicle, Lt. Andrew Schurman said. None of the injuries were serious, he said.
Police are investigating why Spearman crossed the center line as he headed eastbound on Saunders, Schurman said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Despres is relishing his regular role on Penguins’ blue line
- Spokesman for India’s PM tells Pitt audience of pro-business agenda
- Hotel still a possibility for August Wilson Center
- NK grocery store robbed
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review athletes of the week: South Park’s Justin Minda, Baldwin’s Alina Stahl
- Murder charges dropped against sergeant who shot 2 unarmed Iraqi boys
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Students remember former teacher for tough love
- Cop killer Abu-Jamal to speak by recording to Vermont school ceremonies
- Franklin Regional stabbing suspect could leave Pa. for treatment