Monroeville Council puts dental manufacturing business' rezoning request on hold
At the request of the property owner, Monroeville Council has postponed a vote on a rezoning request that could pave the way for a dental manufacturing business to relocate to Monroeville.
Council was expected to vote Tuesday night on a request to change the zoning of the vacant property at 1615 Golden Mile Highway from commercial use to light manufacturing.
Maverick Dental Laboratories in Export has expressed interest in relocating its dental prosthetics manufacturing company to Monroeville and is projected to increase its staff by about 40 positions over the next seven years.
But an attorney representing Parker Realty Partners, which owns the vacant property, said the two sides have yet to finalize the purchasing agreement.
There are a number of properties zoned for light manufacturing on Golden Mile Highway, from Route 22 to the Plum Border, said Monroeville Zoning and Code Enforcement Officer Mark Ciufo at the Oct. 4 council workshop.
“For this use, I think it's an appropriate place,” Ciufo said.
The business currently employes 42 full-time and seven part-time employees, Ciufo said.
Councilman Jim Johns said he welcomes a manufacturing business in a location where commercial businesses have failed.
“There have been an awful lot of people who have been in that property, who have put a lot of money in to it,” Johns said Oct. 4. “And it just sits there and Day Chevrolet pretty much uses it to park cars. I think it would be great to get someone in there to utilize it.”
Kyle Lawson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 8755, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jerome Bettis to be enshrined in hall of fame
- Snow, freezing rain, bitter cold coming to Western Pa.
- Tennessee quarterback Peterman considers transfer to Pitt
- Familiar Downtown Pittsburgh presence lost arm, leg to train
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- Rossi: History beckons for Seattle’s Seahawks
- Starkey: Pitt needs this version of James Robinson
- Voters opt for ‘Don’t Know’ in 2016 presidential race, Susquehanna poll finds
- Gulls fleeing frozen Great Lakes fill skies over Pittsburgh’s Point
- Penguins minor league notebook: Rookie Wilson emerges as 3rd-line NHL prospect
- Pitt upsets No. 8 Notre Dame to snap losing streak