Gateway's Smith named Class AAAA, Section 3 coach of the year
Though he might not feel appreciated by his employers, Gateway football coach Terry Smith is appreciated by his opponents.
Smith was named the 2012 Quad-A, Section 3 Coach of the Year by the section coaches, amid uncertainty whether he will coach at Gateway next year. School directors Jan Rawson and Bill Bailey congratulated Smith at the Nov. 14 school board meeting.
He received the accolade after the Gateway Gators won their seventh section title during Smith's 10 years. Smith also won his 100th game with Gateway before the team lost to Woodland Hills in the second round of the WPIAL playoffs.
Smith filed a federal complaint last month with the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, that alleges the Gateway School Board's decision in June to reduce his athletic director position to part time was racially motivated.
School directors have said the move was part of a broader effort to cut costs.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- Starkey: Pirates, Burnett could work again
- Phone scam from Jamaica reported in Allegheny County
- U.S. proposes tougher rules for moving crude oil, ethanol by rail
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Drive-thru window sees major change at Monroeville fast-food restaurant
- Plane crashes in Taiwan, 47 trapped, feared dead
- Outfielder Polanco driving force for Pirates in victory over Dodgers
- Dick’s cuts PGA professionals as golf business declines
- Pitt swingman Jones ready for breakout season