Gateway's Smith named Class AAAA, Section 3 coach of the year
Though he might not feel appreciated by his employers, Gateway football coach Terry Smith is appreciated by his opponents.
Smith was named the 2012 Quad-A, Section 3 Coach of the Year by the section coaches, amid uncertainty whether he will coach at Gateway next year. School directors Jan Rawson and Bill Bailey congratulated Smith at the Nov. 14 school board meeting.
He received the accolade after the Gateway Gators won their seventh section title during Smith's 10 years. Smith also won his 100th game with Gateway before the team lost to Woodland Hills in the second round of the WPIAL playoffs.
Smith filed a federal complaint last month with the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, that alleges the Gateway School Board's decision in June to reduce his athletic director position to part time was racially motivated.
School directors have said the move was part of a broader effort to cut costs.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- Woman on dating site looks too good to be true: How to vet that pic
- Machinists ranked No. 1 occupation by Department of Labor
- Knoch graduate a success in male-dominant profession
- Connequenessing Valley innovative learning space emphasizes interaction
- Small retailers at intersection of social networks, foot traffic
- Springdale Library to pay rent to borough
- A Keystone copout for liberals
- High number of rentals a double-edged sword for Butler
- Islanders outwork Penguins to sweep back-to-back meetings