Gateway’s Smith named Class AAAA, Section 3 coach of the year
By Kyle Lawson
Published: Thursday, November 22, 2012, 8:04 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 22, 2012
Though he might not feel appreciated by his employers, Gateway football coach Terry Smith is appreciated by his opponents.
Smith was named the 2012 Quad-A, Section 3 Coach of the Year by the section coaches, amid uncertainty whether he will coach at Gateway next year. School directors Jan Rawson and Bill Bailey congratulated Smith at the Nov. 14 school board meeting.
He received the accolade after the Gateway Gators won their seventh section title during Smith's 10 years. Smith also won his 100th game with Gateway before the team lost to Woodland Hills in the second round of the WPIAL playoffs.
Smith filed a federal complaint last month with the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, that alleges the Gateway School Board's decision in June to reduce his athletic director position to part time was racially motivated.
School directors have said the move was part of a broader effort to cut costs.
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Starter Liriano impressive again as Pirates blank Cubs
- Police: Man brandished gun at foundry; no injuries reported
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Mayor’s defeat may spell end of ‘Monessen Rising’
- Former Springdale police officer charged with drug possession, stealing badge
- Timely hitting propels Karns City to District 9 crown
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.