ShareThis Page

Police: Philly man's threats to dispatch center triggered Gateway schools lockdown

| Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2013, 9:00 p.m.

A Philadelphia man accused of threatening to shoot police was apprehended Monday at the Days Inn Motel on Moss Side Boulevard.

Daniel F. Hendrie, 61, was arraigned on two counts of terroristic threats after police traced calls to the room in which he was staying in the motel.

Hendrie is accused of calling the Monroeville dispatch center late Sunday night and early Monday morning and threatening to “shoot it out” with police and to “kill cops,” Chief Steve Pascarella said.

Hendrie was unarmed when police arrested him. Police gathered the rest of his belongings as Hendrie yelled obscenities at Pascarella.

“You're not doing your job if they like you,” Pascarella said.

Hendrie has a criminal record in Philadelphia dating to the early 1970s. He pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in 2005 and simple assault in 1976, court records show.

No attorney for Hendrie was listed on Allegheny County Court documents.

A clerk at the front desk of the hotel declined to comment.

An Altoona couple who was in town for the Steelers game said they heard the commotion of the arrest from their second-floor room.

“They were out there saying, ‘Come out. It's the police!' ” Carol Guerin, 57, of Altoona said. “So I said, ‘We'll stay in a little bit longer.'”

Pascarella said that a couple of the threatening phone calls were traced to a wooded area behind Gateway Campus, where there are three school buildings — Gateway High School, Moss Side Middle School and Cleveland Steward Jr. Elementary.

The campus is less than a mile from the motel.

School officials placed each of the buildings on lockdown at 8:20 a.m.

Gateway Superintendent Nina Zetty said she was on her way to a school-safety seminar in Allison Park at the time of the incident and had to manage the lockdown from her car.

High school Principal Bill Short was posted outside of the auditorium during the lockdown with a walkie-talkie in one hand while watching the campus' main entrance.

Gateway staff followed safety protocol that was adopted during a training seminar with law-enforcement and safety specialists last spring — a few weeks after the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut.

Once the assistant principal at the high school announces a lockdown, students and teachers are instructed to remain in their classrooms while administrators and security perform a sweep of the school, Short said.

Classes had resumed by 10:15 a.m., and, according to a districtwide email sent by Zetty, “… at no time was student and/or staff safety compromised.”

Monroeville police officers were stationed on the perimeter of the campus as an added layer of protection.

“You gotta do defense,” Pascarella said. “Keep in mind, we didn't know anything about (the suspect). We didn't know what he looked like. We didn't know anything accept that (Verizon told us) the phone calls were moving.”

Verizon spokeswoman Laura Merritt said Tuesday that it's possible that the signal moved without the phone moving, though Verizon officials were unable to say specifically what might have caused that to happen before this paper went to deadline.

Kyle Lawson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 8755, or

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.