Share This Page

Bids sought to replace band uniforms at Gateway

| Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014, 9:00 p.m.
Lillian DeDomenic | For The Time
The Gateway High School Marching Band, under the direction of Robert Read, leads the parade down Northern Pike to the cemetery. The Monroeville American Legion Gold Star Post 820 Memorial Day Services at the Old Stone Church Cemetery immediately followed the annual parade, commemorating the Memory of the Municipalities Comrades.

Gateway officials are seeking bids to replace the high school marching band's uniforms for the next school year.

The school board unanimously voted last week to advertise for bids for uniforms.

Business director Paul Schott said the band would need about 110 of them.

Uniforms aren't cheap. In 2012, Norwin School District bought 132 band uniforms for $47,000.

Board members agreed to pay 83 percent of the cost of the uniforms, with band members and their boosters expected to raise funding to cover the cost of the remaining 17 percent of the bill.

Designs for new uniforms were on display at the Feb. 19 board meeting.

“We found a faded fabric and incorporated a Vegas gold, fading to black,” band director Bob Read said.

“We also incorporated a three-window design on the front, enabling us to change colors within the windows.”

The district bought the current band uniforms in 2004.

Read said they have been worn about 160 times and are showing their age.

“Many of the uniforms have been repaired and repaired and repaired,” Read said.

“Some have torn zippers, and many have discolored over the years.”

Kyle Lawson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 8755, or klawson@tribweb.com.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.