Belle Vernon’s Manown fails to qualify for regionals
By The Valley Independent
Published: Thursday, October 4, 2012, 2:02 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, October 4, 2012
Belle Vernon Area's Kirby Manown won't be participating in the PIAA Individual golf tournament this year.
That's because the BVA senior failed to make the cut in the WPIAL Class AAA Individual finals Wednesday at Fox Chapel.
Manown, who finished ninth in the WPIAL as a sophomore and fourth as a junior, shot a 10-over-par 80 at Fox Chapel and missed the qualifying cut by three strokes.
Manown shot scores of 41 on both the front and back nines
Central Catholic's Brent Rodgers won the AAA crown with an even-par round of 70. Rodger shot 36-34 to beat runner-up Matt Holuta by one stroke. Holuta shot 36-35-71.
Rodgers, a junior, is a budding long-drive competitor who has been known to routinely launch drives of 400 yards.
She had four birdies in his winning round.
Rounding out the top five were Upper St. Clair's Thomas Steve (72) and Latrobe's Will Wears and Chad Kissell, both with a 74.
Rodgers led a group of 14 golfers to shoot 77 or better n the field of 36 golfers and move on to the PIAA Western Finals Oct. 15 at Tom's Run Golf Course.
Going into the tournament, Manown had been playing some of his best golf as his previous two nine-hole rounds for the BVA golf team produced scores of 32 and 34.
- Pirates notebook: Cutter a boon for Melancon
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Catholic priest scandal induces monsignor to resign post
- Alaska sex affairs draw Army scrutiny
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Pipeline project creates unease in Westmoreland County
- Pitt awaits NCAA Tournament fate after loss to Notre Dame in Big East baseball
- W.Va. town transfixed by teen girls' murder plot
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Maryland clears surgical abortion facility in woman’s death
- Saturday morning low temp tied record set in 1925
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.