BVA comes up short against South Park
By The Valley Independent
Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Belle Vernon Area's boys' soccer team has only tasted defeat three times this season.
Two of those three losses came at the hands of Section 3 AA power South park.
The latest loss came Tuesday by the same score as their first meeting, 3-0.
The Leps (11-3, 8-3) played hard, but couldn't overcome the top-ranked and undefeated section champs (15-0, 11-0).
“We played well in the first half and their only goal in the first half was on a penalty kick,” BVA coach John Kerekes said. “They wore us down with their depth in the second half.
“But I am pretty happy with our effort.”
The loss snapped a five-game winning streak for the Leps, who already have second place in the section behind South park locked up.
BVA closes out their regular season Thursday when EF heads to James Weir Stadium for a section match.
West Mifflin 4, EF 2
Vince Easler scored twice for EF dropped an important Section 3 AA contest.
A win would have clinched a playoff spot, and now EF (7-8-1, 5-5-1) has to win at BVA Thursday and get some help to make the post-season.
“I am pretty disappointed,” EF coach Dave King said. “We gave them two ‘own goals' and technically a third goal as well.
“Now we have to win and get some help.”
EF's contest Thursday starts at 7:30.
Bentworth 3, California 0
The Section 4 A champion Bearcats recorded their eighth shutout of the season with their win over California.
Jim Liermann scored in the first half for Bentworth and teammates Ian Zaccone and Cody Levine added second half tallies.
Nick Liermann earned the shutout.
“It was Senior Night and I think our players wanted to do well,” said Bentworth coach Gary Amos. “I thought it was a good effort on their part tonight.”
Bentworth (12-3, 11-0) looks to run the table Section 4 A when it heads to Beth-Center Thursday to conclude its regular season while California hosts Washington Thursday night at 7 p.m. with the winner making the playoffs.
Charleroi 0, Laurel Highlands 0, 2 OT
Charleroi played Laurel Highlands to a scoreless tie in girls action. The Lady Cougars (8-6-2) host Monessen tonight on Senior night in its Section 2 A finale at 7.
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Penguins notebook: Tickets for Eastern Conference final on sale today
- Pirates waste strong Burnett start, fall again to Brewers at Miller Park
- 16-year-old girl shot and killed on Rankin street
- Senators boxed in by penalties
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Ganassi drivers Franchitti, Dixon facing an uphill battle at Indy 500
- Burrell relay, Springdale hurdler test their talents in PIAA prelims
- Pirates notebook: Bucs shut down injured Karstens
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.