TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Belle Vernon razes former strip club No Place Special

Daily Photo Galleries

Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2012, 12:51 a.m.
 

Belle Vernon Councilwoman Marybeth Secleter declared halfway through Monday's meeting: “No Place Special is no longer with us.”

The demolition of the former strip club at 427 Main St., began Saturday and is nearly complete.

“You could say we got this done in the nick of time,” council President Joe Minniti said. “I don't think the structure would have withstood one more decent storm.”

The building was becoming increasingly dangerous, said Minniti, who estimated No Place Special closed about seven years ago.

“It was a hazard, and we just had to finally get it knocked down,” he said. “It had become a public nuisance. The tarps were coming off the roof, and parts of the building were just falling down onto the road.”

In a special meeting Oct. 15, council voted, 7-0, to approve a low bid by Naylor and Sons of North Belle Vernon for $5,795 for demolition. Councilman Lewis Stiltner abstained.

According to Secleter, 80 percent of the project is complete with some cleanup and landscaping still to be performed by the end of the week.

After increasing taxes one year ago, council said the tax increase for 2012 was mostly for razing dilapidated buildings.

Council praised Solicitor Mark Galper for avoiding litigation over the property, because the owner, Margaret Kash, has been cooperative and signed an agreement.

Galper said in May that Kash was unaware she still owned the building. She thought it had been lost in bankruptcy proceedings.

Because the borough covered the demolition bill, it will place a lien against the property, Galper said. Should the parcel be sold, the borough will be in line to collect the money it spent to raze the building.

At the request of resident Christine Cratty, council approved a motion to re-hang No Parking signs on the right side of Pleasant Alley off Wood Street.

Secleter said the borough's bicentennial celebration is tentatively scheduled for June 14 to 16, with hopes for a parade on the first night.

Rick Bruni Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at rbruni@tribweb.com or 724-684-2635.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Stories

  1. McKeesport fatal shooting under investigation
  2. Treasury’s clampdown on tax inversions takes bite out of share prices
  3. Rossi: Harrison can lead by talking about past
  4. Pirates defeat Braves to clinch NL playoff spot for 2nd consecutive season
  5. Wings coach Babcock does not hide affection for Penguins’ Crosby
  6. Aging natural gaslines pose hidden threat across U.S.
  7. CMU researchers track devices that keep healthy lifestyles in reach
  8. Michael Baker CEO Bergman outlines changes in Pittsburgh-based engineering company
  9. Penguins blanked at Columbus, 2-0
  10. Steelers’ Taylor recovering from forearm surgery
  11. Steelers’ Tomlin says practice will determine OLB Harrison’s role
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.