TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Monessen firefighters free woman, 38, who was trapped in heat vent

Daily Photo Galleries

Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012, 2:26 a.m.
 

Firefighters freed a Monessen woman around 1:15 a.m. Thursday after her leg became trapped in a heating vent in the third floor of her residence.

Lori Sergi, 38, of 221 Luce Ave. had been “trapdoored” between the opening and the vent's metal grate, according to Municipal Fire Chief Delmar Hepple.

Firefighters had to cut around the metal grating to free the woman's right leg, which had dropped almost entirely into the duct.

“She was in there pretty deep, her pelvis was almost touching the floor,” Hepple said.

“We had to be careful making the cuts. Everything had to be done precisely because it was so close to her leg.”

Hepple said Sergi had previously removed the vent screen and failed to secure it.

She did not require medical attention. Monessen Hilltop Firefighters and city police responded.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Stories

  1. Pirates storm back with late rally to defeat Diamondbacks, 9-4
  2. Steelers’ Blake prefers secondary job
  3. Pirates notebook: Cole scratched from rehab start at Indianapolis
  4. Locke’s difficulties continue thanks to old friends
  5. Steelers notebook: Team extends Suisham’s contract through 2018
  6. Steelers rookie says Sam, his former roommate, has changed
  7. Rostraver police identify suspect in home invasion
  8. Police: Body found beneath Tarentum Bridge is jumper
  9. Eastern Derry VFD closes
  10. Connellsville loses pillar of Catholic community
  11. Police target 17 in Mon Valley drug investigation
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.