Monessen firefighters free woman, 38, who was trapped in heat vent
Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012, 2:26 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012
Firefighters freed a Monessen woman around 1:15 a.m. Thursday after her leg became trapped in a heating vent in the third floor of her residence.
Lori Sergi, 38, of 221 Luce Ave. had been “trapdoored” between the opening and the vent's metal grate, according to Municipal Fire Chief Delmar Hepple.
Firefighters had to cut around the metal grating to free the woman's right leg, which had dropped almost entirely into the duct.
“She was in there pretty deep, her pelvis was almost touching the floor,” Hepple said.
“We had to be careful making the cuts. Everything had to be done precisely because it was so close to her leg.”
Hepple said Sergi had previously removed the vent screen and failed to secure it.
She did not require medical attention. Monessen Hilltop Firefighters and city police responded.
- Brown’s ‘Inferno’ puts Langdon through his paces
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
- Pirates starters Locke, Wandy enjoying good fortune
- Biertempfel: Pirates lefty Locke settles into rotation
- Web giants likely to battle for music fans’ attention
- Pirates notebook: Botched popup shocks Martin
- South Side group sponsors wide range of activities outdoors
- Spirit moves McFerrin on new album
- Morgan Contemporary Glass’ teapots exhibit pours on the creativity
- The race for Pittsburgh mayor: Now comes the ground game
- Trout in the Classroom program reels in students
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.