Monessen firefighters free woman, 38, who was trapped in heat vent
Firefighters freed a Monessen woman around 1:15 a.m. Thursday after her leg became trapped in a heating vent in the third floor of her residence.
Lori Sergi, 38, of 221 Luce Ave. had been “trapdoored” between the opening and the vent's metal grate, according to Municipal Fire Chief Delmar Hepple.
Firefighters had to cut around the metal grating to free the woman's right leg, which had dropped almost entirely into the duct.
“She was in there pretty deep, her pelvis was almost touching the floor,” Hepple said.
“We had to be careful making the cuts. Everything had to be done precisely because it was so close to her leg.”
Hepple said Sergi had previously removed the vent screen and failed to secure it.
She did not require medical attention. Monessen Hilltop Firefighters and city police responded.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: History beckons for Seattle’s Seahawks
- January temperatures, snowfall unremarkable in Western Pennsylvania
- Burrell honors sports heavyweight Butch Liput with scholarship
- Saxonburg Area Artists Cooperative closes its doors
- Springdale trestle bridge deemed structurally sound
- 8th-grader gets venture capital for inexpensive Braille-printer
- Jerome Bettis to be enshrined in hall of fame
- Big Bang ‘waves’ go poof under analysis
- Tennessee quarterback Peterman considers transfer to Pitt
- Freeport’s Romanchak to sign with Robert Morris
- Starkey: Pitt needs this version of James Robinson