Monessen firefighters free woman, 38, who was trapped in heat vent
Firefighters freed a Monessen woman around 1:15 a.m. Thursday after her leg became trapped in a heating vent in the third floor of her residence.
Lori Sergi, 38, of 221 Luce Ave. had been “trapdoored” between the opening and the vent's metal grate, according to Municipal Fire Chief Delmar Hepple.
Firefighters had to cut around the metal grating to free the woman's right leg, which had dropped almost entirely into the duct.
“She was in there pretty deep, her pelvis was almost touching the floor,” Hepple said.
“We had to be careful making the cuts. Everything had to be done precisely because it was so close to her leg.”
Hepple said Sergi had previously removed the vent screen and failed to secure it.
She did not require medical attention. Monessen Hilltop Firefighters and city police responded.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery sent explicit emails
- Truck accident closes all inbound lanes of Parkway West
- West Newton man found dead in helicopter wreckage near Rostraver Airport
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Penguins release Carcillo from tryout contract
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘pretty special’
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Giants’ Crawford makes history with slam
- Takacs Quartet excels in Haydn, Debussy