Belle Vernon’s Manown fails to qualify for regionals
By The Valley Independent
Published: Thursday, October 4, 2012, 2:02 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, October 4, 2012
Belle Vernon Area's Kirby Manown won't be participating in the PIAA Individual golf tournament this year.
That's because the BVA senior failed to make the cut in the WPIAL Class AAA Individual finals Wednesday at Fox Chapel.
Manown, who finished ninth in the WPIAL as a sophomore and fourth as a junior, shot a 10-over-par 80 at Fox Chapel and missed the qualifying cut by three strokes.
Manown shot scores of 41 on both the front and back nines
Central Catholic's Brent Rodgers won the AAA crown with an even-par round of 70. Rodger shot 36-34 to beat runner-up Matt Holuta by one stroke. Holuta shot 36-35-71.
Rodgers, a junior, is a budding long-drive competitor who has been known to routinely launch drives of 400 yards.
She had four birdies in his winning round.
Rounding out the top five were Upper St. Clair's Thomas Steve (72) and Latrobe's Will Wears and Chad Kissell, both with a 74.
Rodgers led a group of 14 golfers to shoot 77 or better n the field of 36 golfers and move on to the PIAA Western Finals Oct. 15 at Tom's Run Golf Course.
Going into the tournament, Manown had been playing some of his best golf as his previous two nine-hole rounds for the BVA golf team produced scores of 32 and 34.
- Charleroi Area School Board getting two new members
- Restore Charleroi team prevails
- Candidates agree: Race still too close to call in Fallowfield Township
- Iacoboni, Egros win Democratic nods for Rostraver commissioner race
- Donora physician, wife were victims of disaster
- Lucas, Costanzo lead ballot in Washington County
- Rehab work planned for crumbling downtown Monessen building
- Rockin’ the Aquatorium
- Parking meters seen as double-edged swords
- Stockdale, Allenport fire departments complete merger
- Six Democrats seek party nods for Donora council
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.