BVA comes up short against South Park
Belle Vernon Area's boys' soccer team has only tasted defeat three times this season.
Two of those three losses came at the hands of Section 3 AA power South park.
The latest loss came Tuesday by the same score as their first meeting, 3-0.
The Leps (11-3, 8-3) played hard, but couldn't overcome the top-ranked and undefeated section champs (15-0, 11-0).
“We played well in the first half and their only goal in the first half was on a penalty kick,” BVA coach John Kerekes said. “They wore us down with their depth in the second half.
“But I am pretty happy with our effort.”
The loss snapped a five-game winning streak for the Leps, who already have second place in the section behind South park locked up.
BVA closes out their regular season Thursday when EF heads to James Weir Stadium for a section match.
West Mifflin 4, EF 2
Vince Easler scored twice for EF dropped an important Section 3 AA contest.
A win would have clinched a playoff spot, and now EF (7-8-1, 5-5-1) has to win at BVA Thursday and get some help to make the post-season.
“I am pretty disappointed,” EF coach Dave King said. “We gave them two ‘own goals' and technically a third goal as well.
“Now we have to win and get some help.”
EF's contest Thursday starts at 7:30.
Bentworth 3, California 0
The Section 4 A champion Bearcats recorded their eighth shutout of the season with their win over California.
Jim Liermann scored in the first half for Bentworth and teammates Ian Zaccone and Cody Levine added second half tallies.
Nick Liermann earned the shutout.
“It was Senior Night and I think our players wanted to do well,” said Bentworth coach Gary Amos. “I thought it was a good effort on their part tonight.”
Bentworth (12-3, 11-0) looks to run the table Section 4 A when it heads to Beth-Center Thursday to conclude its regular season while California hosts Washington Thursday night at 7 p.m. with the winner making the playoffs.
Charleroi 0, Laurel Highlands 0, 2 OT
Charleroi played Laurel Highlands to a scoreless tie in girls action. The Lady Cougars (8-6-2) host Monessen tonight on Senior night in its Section 2 A finale at 7.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ringgold OKs teacher deal, eyes buildings
- Police: Man jailed for throwing girl, 9, as she defended her mother
- Mon Valley C of C plans awards event
- Retirement requires thinking far ahead
- Retail theft suspect takes off, leaves baby at Rostraver Township Walmart
- Dedicated California educator Hasbrouck dead at 62
- Fallowfield plans meeting to reveal results of studies
- Artists paint the town in anticipation of annual Monessen exhibit
- Minerd named AD at California Area High School
- Mon Valley athletes look for continued collegiate success
- Valley men accused of burglary in Charleroi