Monessen firefighters free woman, 38, who was trapped in heat vent
Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012, 2:26 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012
Firefighters freed a Monessen woman around 1:15 a.m. Thursday after her leg became trapped in a heating vent in the third floor of her residence.
Lori Sergi, 38, of 221 Luce Ave. had been “trapdoored” between the opening and the vent's metal grate, according to Municipal Fire Chief Delmar Hepple.
Firefighters had to cut around the metal grating to free the woman's right leg, which had dropped almost entirely into the duct.
“She was in there pretty deep, her pelvis was almost touching the floor,” Hepple said.
“We had to be careful making the cuts. Everything had to be done precisely because it was so close to her leg.”
Hepple said Sergi had previously removed the vent screen and failed to secure it.
She did not require medical attention. Monessen Hilltop Firefighters and city police responded.
- Reward offered in Monessen pharmacy robbery
- Alleged scrap metal thieves face trial
- Corrected election results from BVA, Ringgold races
- Marcellus shale testing to start in Perry Township
- ’43 Memorial Day rites led by dedication of honor roll
- PNC Bank in Bentleyville robbed this morning
- Restore Charleroi slate prevails in municipal elections
- Belle Vernon’s Carol Aten Frow finalist for state Teacher of the Year honor
- Donora physician, wife were victims of disaster
- Lucas, Costanzo lead ballot in Washington County
- Candidates agree: Race still too close to call in Fallowfield Township
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.