| Neighborhoods

Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Monessen firefighters free woman, 38, who was trapped in heat vent

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012, 2:26 a.m.

Firefighters freed a Monessen woman around 1:15 a.m. Thursday after her leg became trapped in a heating vent in the third floor of her residence.

Lori Sergi, 38, of 221 Luce Ave. had been “trapdoored” between the opening and the vent's metal grate, according to Municipal Fire Chief Delmar Hepple.

Firefighters had to cut around the metal grating to free the woman's right leg, which had dropped almost entirely into the duct.

“She was in there pretty deep, her pelvis was almost touching the floor,” Hepple said.

“We had to be careful making the cuts. Everything had to be done precisely because it was so close to her leg.”

Hepple said Sergi had previously removed the vent screen and failed to secure it.

She did not require medical attention. Monessen Hilltop Firefighters and city police responded.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.



Show commenting policy

Most-Read Mon Valley

  1. Artistic ‘Vision’ pays off for Charleroi grad
  2. Assault ends North Belle Vernon man’s new-found freedom
  3. Monongahela Area Historical Society gears up for annual Ghostwalk
  4. North Belle Vernon woman charged with DUI, endangerment
  5. Mon Valley leaders consider land bank
  6. Mon Valley Progress Council, MIDA might consolidate
  7. MIDA, Progress Council intertwined before talks of possible merger
  8. State Rep. Daley insists some Dems would vote for GOP budget
  9. St. Vincent instructor makes ‘home movie’ of Roscoe
  10. Monessen still at odds over sales
  11. The Valley Independent made major move to new home 48 years ago